VITA: Drury's Income Tax Assistance Service
Drury University’s Breech School of Business students are certified by the IRS provide some FREE tax services to the community as an IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site. We can help most members of the community with income of $58,000 or less.
Most sites are walk-in only, with some exceptions. Appointments are only made in special circumstances. Please do not call Drury to request an appointment.
If you have questions about the Drury VITA site, please call 417-873-7522 and leave a message. A team member will return your call as soon as possible.
2020 Drury VITA Clinics Schedule
Each clinic is held at the Breech School of Business Administration on the northeast corner of Central Street and Drury Lane. Taxpayers will sign in on the second floor.
Mondays 4 - 8 p.m.
Calling last client at 7 p.m.
Monday, February 3
Monday, February 10
Monday, February 17
Monday, February 24
Fridays 4 - 9 p.m.
Calling last client at 8 p.m.
Friday, February 21
Saturdays 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Calling last client at 3 p.m.
Saturday, February 8
Drury also participates in TAXAPALOOZA off-campus.
Springfield Dream Center, 829 W. Atlantic St., Springfield, MO
Saturday, February 22
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Walk-ins: 9 - 11 a.m.
Appointments: Noon - 4 p.m.
Call (417) 720-2000
The appointment line is staffed by Caring Communities. Drury University is not involved in scheduling appointments.
Sign up to receive information about our site every year
What to Bring
- Proof of identity. We cannot prepare your return without a photo ID for the main taxpayer(s) and social security cards for all taxpayers and dependents
- Statements: W-2s, 1099s, 1095-A marketplace insurance statements, 1098-T tuition statements student loan interest statements, Social Security statements, and other documents that indicate that you need them for tax purposes.
- Last year’s tax return
- Information which shows the amount of any state income tax refund received last year.
TAX RETURNS WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO
We are not allowed to do tax returns for taxpayers with the following issues:
- Bankruptcy or insolvency during the tax year
- Rental property
- Self-owned business with inventory
- Self-owned business with a loss
- Self-owned business with depreciable property
- Forgiveness of credit card debt with an amount listed in Box 3 of the Form 1099-C (proof of forgiveness of debt)
- Tax returns for non-US citizens.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- All returns will be filed electronically unless a manual return is required by the IRS.
- All taxpayers must be available to sign the appropriate forms in the case of joint returns.
- Clients must arrive at least one hour before the scheduled closing time.
- The site may be closed in the event of bad weather.
- The VITA site prepares tax returns for taxpayers who earn under $58,000 annually. If you exceed this income limit but are over age 60 please contact the IRS for TCE sites that assist seniors of all income levels.
- Any appointments given to the general public for the Drury site are scheduled through 417-720-2000. This number is NOT a Drury telephone line. It is administered by a separate entity, not by Drury. There is no one at Drury who can make appointments for you.
- Drury University reserves the right to refuse service to any person. Persons without the necessary documents or who display uncooperative, threatening, or belligerent behavior will not be served.
Are you 60 or older?
Tax Counseling For the Elderly (TCE) sites will schedule an appointment for you.
*These sites are not run by Drury and Drury cannot schedule an appointment for you. Please call the number listed for the specific site you wish to visit.
2020 tax locations coming soon.
Want to do your own taxes for free?
Please visit www.myfreetaxes.com.
This site will allow you to prepare your federal and state tax returns for free.
Do you need ONLY the Rent Rebate Credit, Circuit-Breaker-Credit, or Missouri Property Tax Credit?
*These sites are not run by Drury and Drury cannot schedule an appointment for you. Walk-In Sites Only – No Appointments Accepted
Northview Senior Center
301 E Talmage St
Springfield, MO 65803
Saturday, January 25 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Wait times are usually very short at these sites and there is usually plenty of space for all people who attend. Arrive after 11 a.m. for shorter waiting times.
Be sure to bring documents from Social Security for 2019 benefits received, including SSI. Must have 2019 real estate tax receipt or landlord verification of rent paid.
Southside Senior Center
2215 S Fremont Ave
Springfield, MO 65804
Saturday, January 25 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Wait times are usually very short at these sites and there is usually plenty of space for all people who attend. Arrive after 11 AM for shorter waiting times.
Be sure to bring documents from Social Security for 2019 benefits received, including SSI. Must have 2019 real estate tax receipts or landlord verification of rent paid.
Want to schedule an appointment with another site?
Other locations around the Springfield area offer appointments for their free tax assistance. Please call (417) 720-2000 to make an appointment. The phone line opens on January 14, 2020, at 9 a.m.
- This phone line is not staffed by Drury. Drury cannot schedule an appointment for you or connect you.
- Please note that it may be difficult to get through on this line. If you leave a voice message, it may take several days for someone to return your call. If voicemail is full, please keep trying.