The landmark building on campus, Stone Chapel has been the venue of choice for hundreds of couples throughout the years. Towering stained glass windows, soaring ceilings, and detailed woodwork captivate wedding guests and create a dramatic background for photos. Grand, yet surprisingly intimate, this chapel provides an elegant setting for weddings both large and small.
We make every effort to make each event at Stone Chapel as effortless and comfortable as possible for all involved. To this end, we provide the following amenities:
Reed Auditorium in the Trustee Science Center
This spacious auditorium provides a flexible reception venue for medium to large wedding parties. Able to accommodate a banquet style setup or a dance floor with cocktail tables, this room can be customized to meet the needs of your special day. The east facing wall of large bay windows and the modern design of Reed Auditorium give this space a modern and classy feel. Additionally, this auditorium is very close to Stone Chapel for a convenient transition from wedding to reception. This room also includes projector and A/V capabilities and a kitchenette with a sink and full sized fridge attached to the north end of the auditorium. This auditorium is easily handicap accessible.
The Hoblit Suite in the Freeman Panhellenic Building
This cozy and classy room is an excellent choice for all small to medium sized receptions, comfortably accommodating 100 people. This room comes equipped with sound capabilities and a kitchenette for convenience. It is located just off of a large parking lot on Summit Avenue and is clearly marked for ease of transition from the Stone Chapel. This room is also easily handicap accessible. To book this room, please contact Christie Garrison at email@example.com or (417) 873-7200.
The Findlay Student Center Ballroom
This rustic yet elegant ballroom is the perfect venue for an intimate to medium sized reception. Its beautiful hardwood floors and wall of windows overlooks our Kellogg Green space, giving the room a very open feel. According to the setup desired, we are able to cater to your needs. This room comes equipped with full sound capabilities. With a large parking lot adjacent and Stone Chapel nearby on campus, the Ballroom would be a convenient and beautiful space to celebrate your special occasion. This building is easily handicap accessible. To book this room, please contact Christie Garrison at firstname.lastname@example.org or (417) 873-7200.
Stone Chapel has a wealth of history held within its walls. Once the location of compulsory chapel services for Drury students, it now is a favorite location for weddings, VIP receptions, The Open Table events, and a community resource.
The oldest stone structure in Springfield was constructed with donations from East Coast benefactors, Frederick Marguand of New York City and Valerie G. Stone of Malden, Mass. Each gave a lead grant of $5,000 to fund the construction of Stone Chapel. The widow of a wealthy industrialist, Mrs. Stone later gave an additional $20,000. The chapel was named in her honor.
The cornerstone of Stone Chapel was laid on November 16, 1880, at eleven o’clock, during an unusual Ozarks snowstorm.
The chapel was constructed using local stone quarried from within the Ozarks. However, the Chapel was destroyed by fire on December 12, 1882, before the finishing touches could be completed on the structure. College classes were in session on the first floor of the building when the furnace room exploded into flames. Everyone escaped unharmed, but the building was a complete loss. Residents from across Springfield came to the scene and watched as the tower bell came crashing down.
After researching different possibilities, the Board of Trustees rebuilt the chapel using the original foundation. It took a decade to rebuild Stone Chapel; commencement was held within the chapel in 1892. The historic Lyon and Healy (Chicago) “Chalfant” Organ was placed in 1906 and is still used today. Now one of several structures in Springfield on the National Register of Historic Places, Stone Chapel holds the fond memories of many Springfield residents and Drury graduates.
Details gathered from The Drury Story by Frank W. Clippinger, with Lisa A. Cooper