CP&D Deadline for Spring 2020 Internships: January 21, 2020*
CP&D Deadline for Summer 2020 Internships: June 8, 2020*
CP&D Deadline for Fall 2020 Internships: August 24, 2020*
UPDATE FOR DRURY UNIVERSITY INTERNSHIP COMPLETION
Due to the seriousness of the evolving situation regarding the worldwide public health concern of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, the following revisions are in effect for the Drury Internship-for-Credit Program, coordinated by Career Planning & Development, for Spring 2020.
Drury University is concerned about the health and safety of students as they complete their internship requirements and for that reason, we will not require students to work on site.
- Remote Work - Remote work, if possible, is a way to ensure that students continue the internship experience. Students can inquire with Site Supervisors to ask if remote work is possible. The accrual of remote internship hours should continue to be tracked.
- Alternative Completion – If adequate progress has been made at the internship site thus far and remote work is not possible from the Site Supervisor’s perspective or due to the student’s internet capacity or computer availability at home, students should notify Andy Swartz, Internship Coordinator, and their faculty sponsor of the situation. The Internship Coordinator will contact the Site Supervisor to verify and to confirm number of hours completed. Faculty will offer an alternate assignment(s) to complete the internship.
Please reach out to Andy Swartz in Career Planning & Development for any questions or concerns.
What is an internship and why do one?
An internship is a supervised, real-world learning experience related to your major or career field. Internships allow you to:
- explore a career field and determine if it is a good fit for your skills and interests.
- form relationships with professionals who may help you connect to other companies, organizations or experiences.
- demonstrate work-related knowledge and skills which will increase your marketability for future internships and full-time positions.
The Robert D. Johnson Experiential Learning Grants are provided to support for-credit internships, research, or other hands-on learning experiences. The application deadline is April 20 for summer 2020 for-credit internship grant proposals. Click the link below for more information on the application process.
Internship Registration Information
If there is a possibility that your internship will put you in course overload, you must submit a completed and signed Request for Permission to Enroll for an Overload form to the registrar by the first day of the semester.
* Architecture, Music Therapy, Education and graduate students should speak with their advisor regarding credit requirements and procedures for internship/practicum credit.
According to NACE Job Outlook 2018 survey:
"Employers cited internship experience with the organization as the top factor influencing their decision when choosing between two otherwise equally qualified candidates, followed by whether the candidate has internship experience within the hiring organizations's industry."
International Students: Check our tip sheet for information specific to international students.