IGNITE: Freshman Summer Programs
Due to the COVID-19 Crisis, we must cancel the Ignite program for the summer of 2020.
What is IGNITE and why should you participate?
Drury’s IGNITE program offers a unique experience for incoming freshmen to meet other like-minded students in mid-summer before New Student Orientation begins in August. Whether students share an interest in learning about their new home and what makes the Ozarks an amazing place, a love of the outdoors, or learning more about life at Drury, Ignite seeks to foster long-lasting friendships and enhance existing communication and leadership skills in a fun, safe and educational environment. The Exploring the Ozarks IGNITE session is 4 nights/5 days. IGNITE participants will attend a team-building low ropes course at the Leadership Ranch in Republic, Missouri to help break the ice and begin the journey as well as engage in fun interactive leadership activities at the close of each evening.
Explore the Ozarks
Friday, June 26 - Tuesday, June 30, 2020
Explore the Ozarks IGNITE program is designed for incoming students that are not familiar with Springfield and our surrounding areas or for those who want to learn more about what our city and area have to offer. We will explore local hot spots and areas close to campus like downtown Springfield and C-Street, take a trip to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO (weather permitting), visit Wonders of Wildlife Aquarium, eat at locally owned and operated restaurants and participate in a service project.
- Meet other incoming first-year students from all over the country.
- Meet upperclassmen and student leaders who will serve as guides and mentors.
- Build teamwork and leadership skills alongside the students in your Ignite session.
- Gain skills, knowledge and awareness of resources to help you succeed in college.
- Learn about some of the history of the Ozarks and what makes this area an amazing place to live.
- Have a lot of fun!
Space is limited!
Total cost of trip: $150 - includes housing, meals and all activity fees.
Registration closes: June 5, 2020
What do past participants have to say about their IGNITE (formally LEAP) experience?
- “The upperclassmen group leaders were very enthusiastic and extremely patient. Both are very smart and I was definitely glad to have had the chance to meet them. “
- “I wish it didn’t end.”
- “LEAP was one of the best ‘camps’ I’ve attended. I would gladly come again.”
- “I made great friends and had a lot of fun.”
- "Don’t stop this program! It helped me relax about starting at Drury in the fall and now I have friends that will be here with me. It was awesome. Thank you!"
- “I like it all… even going to sleep at 2:00 a.m. every night because it was fun, and I made great memories… even though I’m really tired!”
- “It was the best thing I did all summer!”
- “Best experience ever. This should be a requirement for all freshmen. Staff was amazing and professional. Overall was amazing.”
- “Go on the LEAP trip! Definitely worth the money and the time. It was an amazing experience for me. I made so many great friends on the trip and so will you!”
- “It’s an awesome way to meet new people and start some friendships that could last a lifetime.”
- “Go for it even if you have doubts. You will meet new friends and gain new strengths and a better understanding of everything you can or cannot do.”
All incoming freshmen are encouraged to register early as spots are limited in order to provide the most meaningful, unique experience possible.
How do I register and pay?
You can pay easily online by credit card (a 2.75% fee applies) .You may also mail a check for the amount due. Total payment is due by June 5 for the Exploring the Ozarks trip. Please note that your spot is not confirmed until payment is received.
At the bottom of the Registration Page just choose which payment method you prefer.
Please make the check payable to Drury University, and have the student's name and Ignite listed in the memo line. Please mail the payment to:
Attn: Jennifer Stewart - IGNITE Program
900 N. Benton Avenue
Springfield, MO 65802
We will email the final schedule to all Ignite registrants in early June
Cancellation Policy: Full refunds will be issued up to two weeks in advance of the trip, and half refunds will be issued with 13 days or less notice. Written notice is required for refunds and should be emailed to Jennifer Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* A minimum number of students is needed for each trip to be successful. In the event we do not have enough students register for a trip it will be canceled and we will send a full refund of any registration fees paid.
Questions? Please contact Jennifer Stewart, Director of New Student Programs at email@example.com or (417) 873-6919.