Frequently Asked Questions

Drury University > Financial Aid > Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

How do I get financial aid?

Financial aid programs are available to student who demonstrate financial need.  Financial need is determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  This application is the first step of your financial aid search.  For information regarding scholarships click here:

When should I apply for financial aid?

It’s vital that you apply for financial aid early. File your FAFSA as early as possible after it becomes available in December, for the upcoming school year.  Drury’s recommended deadline to file your FAFSA is January 15.  However, if you are a Missouri resident you will want to ensure that you file before the February 1 state deadline to see if you qualify for the Access Missouri State Grant.

Do I need to meet certain academic criteria in order to receive financial aid?

Yes. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress towards your degree in order to qualify for aid each year.  For more information on satisfactory academic progress, click here:

Why hasn’t my aid been applied to my account?

There are several reasons why aid may have not yet been applied to a student account. Below are some of the most common reasons, and generally your MyDrury account will have more information. If you aren’t sure, contact the Financial Aid Office at, or at (417) 873-7312.

  1. The FAFSA has not been completed. You can file your FAFSA online at
  2. Verification has not been completed – check the Documents tab in the Financial Aid area of your MyDrury account
  3. Loan entrance counseling or master promissory note not yet completed – these can be completed at
  4. Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal not yet submitted and reviewed – check the Documents tab in the Financial Aid area of your MyDrury account
  5. You are not currently enrolled in enough hours for loans or scholarships to disburse
  6. Aid has not yet been accepted by the student in their MyDrury account

How much aid am I eligible for? How can I get more aid?

When Drury University makes their official aid offers to students we offer all federal, state, and institutional scholarships, grants, loans and work-study for which a student is eligible for at the time of admission, and from their most recent FAFSA.  If students have a remaining gap to fill in order to fully cover their entire cost of attendance at Drury their options for additional aid would include alternative loans and private scholarships.

How do I know what I need to do in order to receive financial aid?

You can find step-by-step instructions for receiving financial aid at

I don’t use my Drury email. Can you send information to my personal email?

To comply with the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA), it is the policy of the Drury University that any communications related to a student’s financial aid must go to their Drury e-mail account only. Be sure to check your Drury email regularly for updates and important information about your financial aid awards.

How can I submit my documents to you?

Documents can be submitted to our office in multiple ways. 

For the fastest processing, upload your documents to your MyDrury account, on the Documents tab.


            Fax: (417)873-6909

            Mail: 900 North Benton Ave, Springfield, MO 65802

            Present paperwork at your local campus.

What are your hours?

Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the exception of holiday closures.

Where are you located?

The Financial Aid Office is located on the second floor of Bay Hall, on the main campus of Drury University.

I received an email that says I am reaching my limit for federal aid. What does that mean?

The federal government has established a limit to the amount of federal direct student loans and federal Pell Grants that a student can receive in their lifetime.  If you are approaching these limits, you will receive a communication from our office. 

I received an email about “Return to Title IV”. What does that mean?

Drury University encourages all students to carefully consider the financial ramifications of withdrawing from any coursework.  Federal financial aid regulations require the Financial Aid Office to perform a Return to Title IV recalculation for federal financial aid eligibility for a student who withdraws, drop out, are dismissed, fail to begin enrollment in, or take a leave of absence (and do not return) prior to completing 60% of a semester.  The student’s Return of Title IV calculation will be processed on all students in these situations to determine if any aid needs to be returned, or if the student has eligibility for a post-withdrawal disbursement.

If I drop a class, what happens to my aid?

Drury University encourages all students to carefully consider the financial ramifications of dropping a class.  If you are an undergraduate student you will need to be enrolled in at least 6 hours each semester to receive your federal direct student loan disbursement.  Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 3 hours each semester.  The federal Pell Grant is only offered to undergraduate students and will be reviewed if a student has received this award and then drops a class.  Other types of aid could potentially be canceled if you drop a class so we encourage you to reach out to the Financial Aid Office should you decide to drop a class.  Dropping classes can also impact your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), and your eligibility for aid in future semesters.

What is my ID number?

You can find your student ID number in MyDrury.  This unique six-digit number was automatically assigned to you when you applied for admission, and will not change during your time at Drury.

Can I sit down with someone to go over my options?

Yes! Enrolling in college is a serious financial commitment, and we want you to understand your eligibility and obligations. Please reach out to us at, or at (417) 873-7312 to schedule an appointment.

I was just admitted. What do I do now?

There are several things you will want to ensure are completed once you have been admitted:

  1. File your FAFSA
  2. Complete verification if selected
  3. Accept, reduce, or decline any awards that have been offered to you once your FAFSA has been processed
  4. Register for classes

Drury University will send an email to your Drury email address when an aid offer has been made. This email will also include information on your next steps.

Where do I get my ID/parking permit?

Drury student ID cards and parking permits are issued through the Safety and Security Office located in the lower level of the Findlay Student Center, room 101.  Students must provide their vehicle registration papers when signing up for either residential or non-residential parking permits.  Online students can contact their advisor for information on obtaining a student ID card.

I want to move off campus. Can I use financial aid to pay for my off campus housing?

Yes. If your financial aid exceeds the amount of your charges, and you are issued a refund you can to use that refund to pay for off-campus housing expenses. Please note that Drury scholarships may only be refunded to married students who have completed at least 100 credit hours at Drury, and who are pursuing graduate level studies.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Right and Privacy Act of 1974 is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of educational records; to establish the rights of student to inspect and review their education records; and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate and misleading data through informal and formal hearings.  The law applies to any individual who is or has been in attendance at an institution and regarding whom the institution maintains educational records.  Once students have matriculated to Drury University, FERPA rights transfer to the student, regardless of the student’s age.  Students also have the right to file complaints with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office concerning alleged failure by the institution to comply with the act. 

How do I give permission for someone else to ask about my records?

If a student wishes to grant FERPA access to a parent or other designated official they will need to submit a release form to the Records and Registration Office through their MyDrury account. You can read more about FERPA and find steps to provide an information release at

Can you talk to my parents about my financial aid/account?

Under FERPA policy, Drury officials are not permitted to give any information to any person, including a student’s parents and/or guardians, about the student’s:

  1. Academic progress, including grades
  2. Payment status or financial aid
  3. Personal development or disciplinary matters

However, it is often the student’s wish that information be released to their parents or other designated officials.  If a student wished to grant access to their personal information, the student should submit an information release (FERPA release) form with the Records and Registration Office. Please visit for more information on FERPA and information release.


How do I apply for scholarships?

The first step in applying for scholarships is to be admitted to Drury University. You can complete an application for admission and view the required supporting documentation at

My GPA went up after I enrolled at Drury. Can I get more scholarship?

Scholarships for Day School students are automatically renewed at the same amount each year, as long as students maintain good academic standing. Scholarships are not increased based on Drury GPA.

Scholarships for students in Evening and Online Programs are determined independently each semester. Be sure to complete applications well in advance of the deadline.

Are there any other scholarships for me?

The Financial Aid Office works diligently to maximize scholarship eligibility for all Drury students. Every effort is made to match students with as much aid as possible. All Drury scholarships are listed at Please review this information carefully, as deadlines and requirements are stringently observed.

What about private scholarship opportunities?

Private scholarships can be an excellent source of funding for college expenses. Because there is no comprehensive list of outside scholarships, students are encouraged to research scholarships based on their academic and personal interests, unique qualifications, or existing organizational relationships.

Students may receive solicitations from organizations that guarantee awards. Often these require an investment from the student and/or family. We encourage students to carefully consider the decision to pay for a scholarship search; frequently, the aid “guarantee” is in the form of an unsubsidized student loan.

What are the renewal requirements for my scholarship?

Drury scholarships require students to maintain satisfactory academic standing; that is, they must not be on academic probation, extended probation, or suspension; and they must be meeting all requirements of federal Satisfactory Academic Progress. Academic standing is reviewed at the end of each spring semester, and if a student is not meeting the requirement for those scholarships, he or she may have the opportunity to appeal the loss of his or her scholarships. If the appeal is approved, the student must follow the academic plan to which he or she agrees. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of those scholarships.

If my schedule changes or I enroll in less than 12 hours, what happens to my scholarship?

Any change in enrollment can result in an adjustment of financial aid.

Scholarships for Day School students require full time enrollment (minimum of 12 hours per semester). If a student is enrolled in fewer than 12 hours at the end of the second week of the semester (deadline to drop or add coursework), scholarships will not be available for that semester. If students are enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours at the end of the second week of the semester (deadline to drop or add coursework), but subsequently withdraw from a course, scholarships will remain intact for that semester.

Many of the scholarships available to evening and online students are based on the number of credit hours in which they are enrolled. If coursework is dropped without charge, scholarships will be adjusted accordingly. If coursework is withdrawn after being charged, the scholarship will not be adjusted.

I received an outside scholarship and the check was sent directly to me. What should I do with it?

If the check is made out only to you, you should notify the Financial Aid Office of the amount and source of the award. If the check is made out to Drury, please send it to the Financial Aid Office, 900 N. Benton Ave., Springfield, MO 65802. If the check is made out to both you and Drury, endorse the back of the check, then send it to the address above or drop it off at the Financial Aid Office in Bay Hall.

If I qualify for a scholarship, does that mean that I will automatically receive it?

Not necessarily. Many scholarships have limited funds available. The Financial Aid Office makes every attempt to match students to as many scholarships as possible, but not every student who meets the requirements of a scholarship is guaranteed to receive it.


What is the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is your application for grants and loans from the government. It is an indicator of your family’s financial strength, and provides schools with information about your eligibility for federal financial aid. If you are interested in receiving federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study, and loans, you need to complete the FAFSA each year.  Many states and colleges also use your FAFSA information to determine your eligibility for state and institutional aid, and some private donors may use your FAFSA information to determine your aid eligibility.

When can I file the FAFSA?

The FAFSA opens on December 1 of each year, for the next academic year.

How do I file the FAFSA?

You may use either of these methods to file your FAFSA:

  1. Through the website:
  2. Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

What information do I need to file my FAFSA?

To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) you will need:

  1. Your social security number
  2. Your alien registration number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  3. Your federal income tax returns, W2s, and other records of money earned for two years prior to the FAFSA application year
  4. Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  5. Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  6. An FSA ID to sign electronically

What is the deadline to file my FAFSA?

File your FAFSA as early as possible after it becomes available on December 1.  Drury’s recommended deadline to file your FAFSA is January 15.  If you are a Missouri resident you will want to ensure that you file before the February 1 state deadline to see if you qualify for the Access Missouri Grant.

Do I have to file the FAFSA every year?

Yes.  Each year you must file the FAFSA and submit any documents that are requested.

Do I have to pay to fill out the FAFSA?

Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and it give you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for higher education.

I just filed my FAFSA. Can I have my aid now?

Once you’ve filed your FAFSA, it will be processed by the US Department of Education. This will take 3-5 days, and once it’s processed, it will be sent to the schools you listed on your FAFSA. While we work diligently to process all information in the order students are admitted and submit their FAFSA, please allow up to two weeks for processing your information at peak times immediately prior to the beginning of a new semester.

What happens if I miss the deadline for filing my FAFSA?

You can still submit a FAFSA after the deadline in order to apply for a Pell grant and federal direct student loans.

How do I get my Access Missouri Grant/Bright Flight at Drury as I recently transferred from another school?

You must contact the Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development to notify them of your plan to transfer. MDHEWD will not provide your funds to Drury until this step is complete, so it is important to contact them as soon as you know you will be transferring. You can contact the Missouri Department of Higher Education at (800) 473-6757.

I received an email from FAFSA stating a change was made. What changed?

Students will receive an email stating a change has been made to their FAFSA as a result of the verification process or due to other conflicting information identified by the Financial Aid Office.  These corrections can often be to adjust a student’s grade level, tax return information, or degree pursuit.  If you have questions about your particular situation please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

How do I set up my FSA ID?

To create your FSA ID, visit:

Can you tell me/reset my FSA ID?

No college can provide you with your FSA ID information – it is shared only between you and the US Department of Education. If you’ve forgotten your username or password, most federal financial aid log-in pages have “forgot my password” and “forgot my username” links so you can start the process of recovering your information.  To retrieve your username or password, you’ll either need to have a code sent to your mobile phone or your email address, or you’ll need to answer your challenge questions.  If you haven’t provided and verified your mobile phone number or email address in your FSA ID account, and you can’t remember the answers to your challenge questions, you should contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID.

What is your school code for the FAFSA?

Drury University’s school code is 002461.

My parents don’t support me. Why do I have to list their tax information on the FAFSA?

Whether or not your parent(s) supports you financially or claimed you on their tax return has no bearing on your dependency status.  Unless you meet one of the federal governments established criteria to be considered independent you will be required to list your parent’s information on the FAFSA. You can review the US Department of Education’s criteria to be considered an Independent student here.

My parents are divorced. What parent information should I include on the FAFSA?

Dependent students must include parent information on the FAFSA. For more information about which parent(s) should be included, please visit

My situation has changed since I filed my FAFSA. Can I get more aid?

This depends on each student’s individual situation.  We encourage students who believe that their FAFSA does not accurately reflect their actual financial situation to email our office with a letter of explanation explaining why they believe this is the case.  Students can email this letter of explanation to  You must include your name and student number at the top of your letter of explanation.


How do I get a Pell grant?

Federal Pell Grants are financial aid that does not have to be repaid unless you withdraw from school. They are awarded based on financial need demonstrated through the FAFSA and can be applied to tuition, fees, housing, or other eligible charges. If you are eligible, a Pell Grant will automatically be posted to your account.

How to Apply:

  1. Apply and be accepted to Drury University
  2. File your FAFSA each year

Do I have to pay back my Pell?

A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid.

I am enrolled in more than 12 hours. Can I receive more Pell?

The maximum amount of a federal Pell grant is capped at 12 credit hours, or full-time enrollment.  Enrollment in greater than 12 credit hours will not result in an increase to your federal Pell grant award.

Why didn’t I qualify for more Pell?

The amount of the federal Pell grant depends on your cost of attendance, EFC (expected family contribution), enrollment status and whether you attend for a full academic year or less. If you are nearing the maximum lifetime amount you can receive in Pell, your award may be reduced or negated.

Why is my Pell amount different from last year/semester?

Amounts can change from year to year, or semester to semester. The amount you get will depend on:

  1. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC),
  2. The cost of attendance (determined by your school for your specific program),
  3. Your status as a full-time or part-time student, and
  4. Your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. 

If I enroll in more hours, can I get more Pell?

This can vary from student to student depending on the situation.  If you plan to enroll in additional hours please contact he student Financial Aid Office to inquire regarding your individual federal Pell grant eligibility.

Why am I not receiving as much Pell as my FAFSA said that I would receive?

The amount of the federal Pell grant depends on your cost of attendance, EFC (expected family contribution), enrollment status and whether you attend for a full academic year or less.  The FAFSA provides an estimate of the federal Pell grant that will be awarded based only on the estimated family contribution as it was calculated at the time the FAFSA was submitted.  If changes are made to a FAFSA, enrollment changes, etc. then the amount of the federal Pell grant award can be different.

Can I receive a Pell Grant in the summer?

Your summer federal Pell grant amount will depend on the number of credit hours you are enrolled in, as well as your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Units.  If you enrolled full-time (12+ credits) and received the full-time Pell Grant amount for fall and spring semesters, you must enroll at least half-time (6+ credits) in summer classes to receive a summer Pell Grant.  If you enrolled part-time in the fall and/or spring semesters, there is no minimum credit requirement to receive a summer Pell Grant (unless required by your EFC). You can use the remainder of your annual Pell Grant amount during summer with no minimum credit requirement. 

Student loans may be available in the summer. There is an annual limit to student loans, and if you have already borrowed the full amount for which you are eligible, no additional loans can be made. You can review annual loan limits here.

My Pell covered everything at my other school. Why is it not covering everything here?

The cost of attendance is different for each school so a Pell grant may cover all costs at one school but may not be enough to cover all costs at another.  You can view information on Drury University Tuition and Fees online at the following link:


What kind of federal student loans are available?

Drury University participates in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program.  Based upon the completion of the FAFSA, students may qualify for a Federal Direct Loan.  The federal government offers both Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans.  In order to receive a student loan, a student must be at least half-time.  They must also be fully admitted and a degree-seeking student.  If you are a graduate student you are only eligible for Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans.

What is the difference between a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan?

The subsidized loan is based on a student’s financial need, as determined by the FAFSA. A loan is subsidized when the government pays the interest for a student when: they are enrolled in school at least half-time as a degree seeking student; during the six month grace period after the student is no longer attending at least half-time; or during periods of authorized deferment. 

The unsubsidized loan is not based on financial need and is available to all qualifying students regardless of income. The student is responsible for all interest, which accrues during in-school, grace and deferment periods. A student may choose to make interest payments while in school. While you are not required to make interest payments, it is encouraged because the interest capitalizes so that you will be paying interest on interest while in repayment. 


What is the interest rate?

For the current interest rates, please see:

What are the enrollment requirements to receive a federal student loan?

In order to receive a student loan, a student must be enrolled at least half-time in degree-required courses, and be fully admitted as a degree seeking student. Half-time enrollment is defined as a minimum of 6 hours per semester for undergraduate students, and a minimum of 3 hours per semester for graduate students.

How much can I receive in a loan?

There is a limit on the amount of federal direct student loans that you can receive.  You can view annual and lifetime loan limits at  Once you have reached your maximum in federal student loans either for the year or lifetime, your next options for a loan would be to either pursue a federal direct PLUS loan or an alternative student loan.   The maximum amount eligibility for these loans is based on the cost of attendance minus other financial aid already offered. 

How do I complete my required loan documents?

You can complete these items online by logging in with your FSA ID and password at

I just finished my Master Promissory Note/Entrance Counseling. Why is it still showing as “Not Received” in MyDrury?

Once you’ve completed your required loan documents, Drury is notified within 48 hours. When we receive a notice that your documents are complete, your documents will reflect that information in MyDrury.

What happens when I reach the lifetime limit for student loans?

There is a limit on the amount of federal direct student loans that you can receive.  You can view loan limits and aggregate totals at the following link:  Once you have reached your maximum in federal student loans either for the year or lifetime, your next options for a loan would be to either pursue a federal direct PLUS loan or an alternative student loan. These  are credit-based loans, and not all students/parents are approved. If approved, the maximum amount for these loans is based on the cost of attendance minus other financial aid already offered. 

When do I repay my loan?

You don’t have to begin repaying most federal student loans until after you leave college or drop below half-time enrollment.

Your loan servicer or lender must provide you with a loan repayment schedule that states when your first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment. Keep in mind that your loan may have a grace period.

Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans, and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans have a six-month grace period before payments are due.  PLUS loans have no grace period. They enter repayment once they are fully disbursed but may be eligible for a deferment. Contact your loan servicer for more information.

For more information about federal loan repayment, please visit

How do I find out who my loan servicer is?

You can view your federal student loan servicers by logging into the following link with your FSA ID and password:

I am only using loans. Do I still need to submit a FAFSA, complete verification, or submit an appeal?

In order to receive Federal Direct Student Loans you must submit a FAFSA for the current academic year.  If your FAFSA was selected for verification you must complete that process in order to be eligible for any federal student aid, including loans.  Finally, you must submit an appeal (if requested) in order to determine your eligibility for federal student aid.

What is a Parent PLUS loan?

The Parent PLUS Loan is borrowed by the parent of an undergraduate, dependent student. The parent is responsible for repayment, which begins 60 days after funds are fully disbursed. A deferment can be requested by the parent by contacting the Department of Education.  The maximum amount eligibility is based on the cost of attendance minus other financial aid. Dependent students are not eligible to borrow a Parent PLUS Loan.

How do I apply for a Parent PLUS loan?

First, it’s important to note that a student cannot apply for a Parent PLUS loan, because this type of loan is in the parent’s name. To apply for this loan, the parent can log on to with the Parent FSA ID you used to sign the student’s FAFSA.

What if my parent is denied a Parent PLUS loan?

If your parent is denied based on credit, he/she will have the following options presented to them on the PLUS Loan application:

  • Accept the decision
  • Appeal the decision
  • Pursue an endorser (co-signer)

If your parent chooses to accept the credit decision, then the student will be eligible to borrow an additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan up to $4000 (freshman or sophomore) or up to $5000 (junior or senior).

What is the difference between a Parent PLUS loan and an alternative student loan?

There are three main differences:

  1. Lender: Parent PLUS Loans are federal loans. The federal government is the lender. Private student loans are offered by private financial institutions, such as banks and credit unions.
  2. Primary Borrower: The parent is the primary borrower on a Parent PLUS Loan. The primary borrower of a private student loan can be the parent or the student. The parent may be a cosigner on the student’s private student loan.
  3. Interest Rate: Parent PLUS Loans have fixed interest rates. Private student loan interest rates are based on borrower credit and may have fixed or variable interest rate options, depending on the lender.

Are Parent PLUS loan refund checks sent to the parent or the student?

It is the policy of Drury University that all refund checks are issued to the student.  However, a parent can request that a parent PLUS loan refund be issued to the parent on the application by contacting the Business Office.

How do I get an alternative student loan?

Alternative (private loans) may be available to students/parents/other borrowers to meet educational expenses not covered by other financial aid. These loans are credit-based, and students should exhaust Federal Student Loan eligibility before applying for additional private loans. They cannot be consolidated with Federal Student Loans and the interest rates are based on credit and lender policy.  You can find information to compare the benefits and services of alternative student loan lenders at the following link:  If you wish to use an alternative loan lender that is not on this list, you have the right to do so.

Can you recommend an alternative student loan lender?

Drury University does not endorse or promote any lender or loan product. A list of lenders is provided based on product, performance and customer service. Drury University does not have any agreements with these lenders, nor do we receive any benefits from the use of their private loans by our students.

Why did I only get half of my loan? Can I have it all this semester?

Generally, your student loan will cover a full academic year, and Drury University will process your loan in two payments called disbursements. Students who are graduating can receive a maximum of one half of their annual loan limit during the final semester of enrollment.

I am graduating in the fall. Can I receive my full loan eligibility during the fall term?

Students who are graduating can receive a maximum of one half of their annual loan limit during the final semester of enrollment.

Military and Veterans Benefits

I am receiving military/veterans benefits. How do I get that money?

You can apply for benefits online, in person at your nearest VA regional office, or by phone at 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551). Please click here for more information on how to apply for your benefits.

Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid Office. You must submit Drury’s Veterans Certification Request form at the beginning of each semester you are enrolled at Drury University and anticipate receiving benefits. Once we receive your certification request and you are enrolled, we will certify your hours through the VA online database, to request your payment.

Do I have to notify your office every semester that I want to receive my benefits?

Yes, submitting a new Veterans Certification Request form online alerts our office to certify your enrollment for the upcoming semester. We cannot certify your benefits without your permission.

How do I know what benefits I am eligible to receive?

Your benefit information can be found through your eBenefits portal. When you apply for your benefits through the VA website, you will be mailed a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. This certificate will contain information such as the duration your benefits will be paid, as well as the percentage your benefits will cover. If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office at, or at (417) 873-7312 for assistance.

Do I have to file a FAFSA in order to receive my benefits?

No, you do not have to file a FAFSA to receive your education benefits. However, you may qualify for additional financial aid, such as grants, if you meet the qualifications. All students are encouraged to file the FAFSA.

Can I receive other financial aid/scholarships when I am also receiving military/veteran benefits?

Yes, however, certain scholarships and grants that are tuition-based are required to be reported to the VA upon certifying your enrollment.

How much is my Tuition Assistance/VA/Vocational Rehabilitation benefit?

The amount of your benefit is dependent upon your eligibility, which can be viewed through your eBenefits portal or by accessing your Certificate of Eligibility. We are available by phone, email, or by appointment to help you understand your benefit information.

When will my benefits be applied to my account?

Once our office has received your Veterans Certification Request and has confirmed your enrollment, we will certify your enrollment through the VA online database. Education benefits can take up to 30 days to be received. 


What is verification?

Verification is a process where Drury confirms the data reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Federal Student Aid Office (a part of the US Department of Education) notifies colleges which FAFSAs are selected for verification and requires colleges to request documentation from students that supports income and other information reported on your FAFSA.

Why did I get selected for verification?

You were selected for verification based on the answers provided on the FAFSA. Don’t assume you have done anything wrong. Some students are selected for verification at random; and some schools verify all students’ FAFSA forms. All you need to do is provide the documentation that is requested —and be sure to do so by the deadline, or you won’t be able to get financial aid.

What is the deadline for me to submit my paperwork?

Don’t delay completing your FAFSA verification! Students who complete all requirements by July 1 will be guaranteed to receive their aid in the first disbursement of fall semester. Students who complete all requirements after July 1 for the fall semester will be processed in the order information is received, but will not be guaranteed to receive their aid in the first disbursement.

I don’t have my taxes or my W2’s anymore. What do I do?

A Tax Return Transcript and the Wage & Income Transcript can be obtained from the IRS if you have not retained copies of your taxes or W2s. The transcripts can be requested online at The website offers multiple options including: Get Transcript Online and Get Transcript by Mail.

I have no contact with my parents/do not know where they are. What do I do?

You may be eligible for a Dependency Override. Dependency Overrides are for situations where a student has no contact with parents due to abandonment or an abusive home environment, etc. Please be aware that none of the following scenarios, either singly or in combination, qualify for a dependency override:

  • Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education
  • Parents are unwilling to provide information for the FAFSA or for verification
  • Parents do not claim the student for income tax purposes
  • The student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.

If you believe there are extenuating circumstances that would qualify for a Dependency Override, please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Appeals

What is SAP?

“SAP” stands for Satisfactory Academic Progress. There are federal standards all students must meet in order to maintain their eligibility for financial aid. For more information regarding the requirements, please visit the “Staying Eligible”. 

Each school establishes their own SAP policy. You can review Drury’s policy at

Why do I need to file an appeal?

The need to appeal is due to one or more of the following reasons:

  • You were unable to successfully complete 67% of the hours attempted during your lifetime course of study at Drury University. 
  • Your GPA is below a 2.0.
  • You are on Academic Probation.
  • You have attempted more than 150% of the required hours for your program.

I have loans/scholarships/grants. Do I need to submit an appeal?

Yes. The financial aid appeal is for students wanting to utilize federal, state, and/or institutional aid.

Where can I find the appeal form?

The appeal form can be found in your MyDrury Financial Aid page, under the Documents & Messages tab.

What documentation do I need to submit with my appeal?

The appeal form can be found in your MyDrury Financial Aid page, under the Documents & Messages tab. Please submit documentation along with your appeal that you feel is necessary to support your circumstance. If additional documentation is requested, our office will inform you via your Drury email.

Is an advisor signature required on my appeal?

Yes, it is required. Appeals will not be processed without an advisor’s signature. It is the student’s responsibility to work with the advisor, discuss any opportunities for academic improvement, and obtain a signature. 

What do I do if my adviser is not available to sign my appeal?

If your advisor is not available, you may work with any other advisor, or you can request a meeting with an advisor in the Advising Center. Please contact the Advising Center in in OBT at 417-873-3010..

What is the deadline for me to submit my appeal?

The deadline to receive all appeals each semester is the Friday before finals week. No exceptions can be made to this deadline under any circumstances.

How long does it take for the appeal to be reviewed and a decision made?

The Financial Aid Office reviews documentation in the order documents are received and complete. Our office typically reviews documentation within one week. During peak seasons of the academic year, we suggest you submit your appeal a minimum of two weeks before the start of the semester to allow sufficient time for processing before the deadline to drop or add classes.

Why do I need to file an appeal if I have a 3.0 GPA/on Dean’s list?

Students are required to meet all of the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to remain eligible for financial aid. While your GPA is one piece of meeting SAP requirements, there are other factors that could cause a student to be required to submit a financial aid appeal, such as:

  • You were unable to successfully complete 67% of the hours attempted during your lifetime course of study at Drury University.
  • You have attempted more than 150% of the required hours for your program.

How will I know if my appeal is approved or denied?

The Drury Financial Aid Office will notify you via your Drury email of the status of your appeal. You can view the current status of any financial aid documents in your MyDrury Financial Aid page, under the Documents & Messages tab. Documents listed as “Not Reviewed” indicate that we have received your documents, and will review them as soon as possible.

What happens if my appeal is approved?

If your appeal is approved, you will remain eligible for financial aid for the next semester you are enrolled. You will be required to meet the terms of your appeal each semester, until you are back in good standing with the university and meeting all SAP requirements.

What happens if my appeal is denied?

If your appeal is denied, you will not be eligible for any institutional, state, or federal financial aid at Drury University. You may still be eligible to apply for an alternative credit-based loan through an outside lender if you remain enrolled at Drury. Information on alternative loans can be found at the link below:

If my appeal is denied, can I appeal the denial?

No. Once your appeal is denied, the decision is final.

How do I get my aid back and how long will that take?

If you have been suspended from financial aid, you will not be eligible again until you have met all of the SAP requirements and are in good academic standing with the University. There is no set time in which every student will regain SAP requirements, as it depends on your specific academic progress at Drury. The better you do in your coursework, the more quickly you may regain eligibility. 

What happens if I sit out for a semester?

The only way to regain your financial aid eligibility at Drury is to meet all SAP requirements at Drury. Sitting out for a semester or longer, or attending another institution, does not automatically reset your financial aid eligibility.

I’m not using financial aid. Do I still need to submit an appeal?

If you are paying out-of-pocket, using funds from an outside organization, or using an alternative loan, you do not need to file an appeal. The financial aid appeal is only for students wanting to utilize federal, state, and/or institutional aid.

Payments and Payment Plans

How do I know what my account balance is?

Please visit for step-by-step instructions to view your account balance.

How do I make a payment online?

Please visit for step-by-step instructions to make a payment. If you have questions, please contact the Business Office at (417) 873-7342, or at

I have a 529 Plan. How do I use that money?

To access your 529 Plan account, you will need to contact the financial institution where you established the plan. Each 529 Plan has unique requirements for accessing and spending your funds, so please read all information carefully. Once you’ve taken the required steps to access your 529 Plan funds, the funds will be sent directly to Drury and applied to your account.

You can also find instructions for paying online with your 529 Plan at Please note that there is a fee for paying online with a 529 Plan. 

What is Nelnet?

Nelnet Business Solutions provides an online payment plan that makes it easier for students and their families to pay their semester bill in installments. When students and their families sign up for the online payment plan, the program helps families determine how they can spread their monthly payments in order to be fully paid by registration time for the next semester.

Why do I have to sign up for a payment plan?

Drury University’s payment policy requires that all students either be paid in full (including scholarships and pending financial aid), or be current on a payment plan for any balance exceeding scholarships and financial aid, two weeks prior to each semester. Students who do not meet this obligation may be dis-enrolled from coursework. 

I am using financial aid to pay for my classes. Do I still need to sign up for a payment plan?

Students who have a balance on their account, and are waiting on financial aid to cover your balance must still sign up for a Nelnet payment plan. Many students are able to sign up on a “Pending Aid” payment plan which tells the University you are waiting on loans, grants and scholarships to cover your balance. There is no fee for the Pending Aid agreement, provided your financial aid comes in before your first payment due date and covers all of your charges. Please pay attention to your first payment date. To find out more information about payment plan options, please visit

How do I sign up for a payment plan?

Please visit the website below for instructions on signing up for a payment plan:

I signed up for a payment plan last semester. Do I need to do another one?

Yes, unless your bill is paid in full two weeks before classes begin. Drury bills separately for each semester, so you need to set up a separate payment plan for each semester.

When will I get my refund?

Refunds are processed within 14 days of funds being applied to a student’s account. When a student loan is disbursed to the Business Office, we send the student an email to their Drury email account.  Students who have a credit balance as of the end of the business day each Friday will receive a refund the following Thursday after 2 p.m. 

How much will I receive in a refund?

Your refund will be the amount of aid you receive that is above and beyond your charges. All aid is first applied to your balance at Drury, and if you have aid in excess of your charges, it is refunded to you according to the preferences you choose through your BankMobile Disbursements selection.

To see if you have a refund, please check your account on MyDrury by selecting the Student Tab and generating a Course and Fee Statement.

How will I receive my refund?

Drury University delivers your refund with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc.

Please select your refund preference as soon as possible. Please visit to select your refund preference and to learn more about the program. 

Remember, even if you are not currently expecting a refund from Drury University, we may have a refund for you in the future. A refund can be from financial aid, overpayment of tuition/fees, housing deposit, etc.

I need my money now. How can I receive my refund sooner?

Refund dates are set and do not vary.  Be sure to complete any documents as soon as possible, so that you can receive your disbursement and your refund at the earliest disbursement date.