Why? Three words: YOUR DRURY FUSION.
Fusion, it’s our innovative, like-no-other academic program with the power to merge professional goals and personal passion. And it’s beyond anything you’ve ever done. Yet. See for yourself: Meet Drury students who’ve gone beyond the “typical” college experience.
Promises of the Your Drury Fusion Program
Drury goes beyond the traditional higher education experience to prepare students for profession and life.
Your Drury Fusion ensures that every student that graduates from Drury has:
- the academic knowledge and professional skills needed to secure employment or admission to graduate study.
- the critical thinking skills and ability to productively engage in addressing complex, multi-disciplinary problems.
- the capacity to acquire new information and skills to be successful and contribute productively to a rapidly changing world.
- and the ability to cultivate the intellectual, imaginative, and ethical faculties to live a life of meaning and purpose.
Through Your Drury Fusion, students foster an in-depth exploration of self and align personal and professional purpose to provide a sense of meaning and balance in their lives while doing highly challenging work in their field of study.
Fusing life/career CREDENTIALS
with real-world EXPERIENCE
and life-changing MENTORSHIP
Your Drury Fusion blends three distinct components:
Your Drury Fusion blends academic and pragmatic experience, ensuring that every student earns credentials beyond their majors or minors, in areas of both intellectual and professional interest.
- Students in professionally-oriented majors earn additional majors, minors, and certificates in areas of interest that are more purely academic in nature. Likewise, students majoring in more purely academic fields earn additional majors, minors and certificates in professional fields.
- For example, a student majoring in Architecture might also get a certificate in Graphic Storytelling. A Business major might get a certificate in Holistic Health and Well Being. The Fusion combinations are endless and unique to each student.
- By connecting career and life preparation students can leverage the power of multi-disciplinary thinking to productively contribute to today’s complex world while living a life full of purpose and meaning.
- The intentional combination of study in professional and non-professional areas gives Drury students a broader perspective as they consider matters of career, life, community, self, and service.
Students will graduate with at least three hands-on experiences that give them the opportunity to solve real-world problems.
- All students participate in meaningful hands-on learning experiences inside and outside of class. This includes independent projects, research, internships, team projects, service, and other activities.
- The focus is on learning by doing, constant reflection and iteration, and collaboration. They will create prototypes, facilitate workshops, make graphic novels and learn to decipher big data to name just a few hands-on experiences.
- Students develop a deep understanding of theoretical principles, a strong sense of themselves intellectually and of their place in the world while gaining critical skills in the practical application of knowledge.
- Students earn credentials that certify the value of their real-world experiences. These become part of a digital portfolio that students can use to market themselves with prospective employers and graduate or professional schools.
- A competitive advantage, students will have proven experience in their field making them ready, day one, to contribute to business, non-profit, government or any other organization.
Establishment of a new Compass Center will serve to guide and mentor students through Your Drury Fusion by an approach that reaches far beyond typical academic advising.
- Even before stepping foot on campus, each student will be assigned and hear from a team of coaches to serve as their life and career coaches during their time at Drury.
- The Compass Center will work with students in each of three critical areas:
- Career Planning and Development
- Learning Center [tutoring, writing, financial literacy, study habits, etc.]
- This holistic advising approach helps guide students along their college experience -- exploring and discovering their intellectual and professional aspirations, determining how they intersect, and choosing professional and non-professional majors, minors, certificate programs and other experiences that will prepare and credential them for success after college.
- Advising goes beyond the four years at Drury by identifying future educational opportunities such as graduate school.
Other Areas of Your Drury Fusion
Fusion isn't just about academics. It's also important to have a support system and guidance. Check out our Compass Center and full list of academic programs: