Only appropriate academic regalia provided by the university, and adornment provided by academic departments or student organizations, such as stoles, badges, and cords, are allowed. Approved stoles, badges, and cords are listed below. No scarves, jewelry, or corsages may be worn on the outside of the gown. This policy is set and maintained by the Academic Affairs Committee. Petitions for change to this policy must be submitted to the Registrar no later than the second week of the semester in which the change is requested.
Undergraduate Degree Regalia
All students must wear the undergraduate cap, gown, and tassel provided by the university. The regalia is to be adorned in keeping with the following:
- Master of Architecture degrees will wear a hood provided by the university.
- Students who earn Degrees with Distinction will wear red and grey honor cords provided by the university.
- Members of Mortar Board may wear the stole corresponding to that honor society.
- Students may wear the traditional Kente cloth stole corresponding to the BUIC organization.
- Students who have studied abroad may wear the badge in recognition thereof.
- Students may wear cords available from organizations and societies who recognize student membership and achievement during their time at the university.
- Military cords are provided by the university to graduates who are service members.
All students must wear the graduate cap, gown, and tassel provided by the university.
- Graduate degrees will be awarded a hood as it correlates to their degree.
- No other adornments (cords, stoles, badges, etc.) are permitted.
- Please wear your tassel on the right. It should remain on that side throughout the ceremony.
- Graduates should dress appropriately for the commencement ceremony. Formal dress is appreciated.
All graduates must pay in full all business office balances before they may pick up caps and gowns.
Gowns, caps and tassels are distributed from Wednesday-Friday of commencement week, as well as on the day of the ceremony. Gowns, caps, tassels and hoods may be kept.
All students are assessed a graduation fee prior to commencement. Fees are payable online or in-person at Student Financial Services.