Skip Site Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When should I study abroad?

Students that would like to participate in a semester study abroad typically do so during their junior year. Students are advised to complete a study abroad application for semester programs early on in their freshmen year. Students are not committing by filling out an application, but are simply putting their name on the list of students interested in the program. The academic year before your semester abroad you will be asked to confirm your plans by paying a non-refundable deposit and our office must confirm that you have the minimum grade point average for participation in that program.

Participation in short-term programs (winter or summer terms) are available to students as early as their freshman year. Students should contact the program director(s) (Drury faculty or staff member) of the specific short term program they are interested in to apply. Students give the study abroad application directly to the short term program director(s). The short term program director(s) will then determine students that are approved.

Q: How do I apply to a study abroad program?

Students can apply for a study abroad program by downloading an application from this website or they can pick up an application in Findlay Student Center 203 or in the Pool Art Center 201. Submit applications for semester and affiliated programs to Tom Russo in the FSC 203. Short term program applications need to be submitted to the faculty or staff member leading the program.

Q: Can only certain majors study abroad?

No. Students from any major can study abroad although some programs do have pre-requisites for courses or may be geared toward a certain academic major. However, study abroad is a degree requirement for Breech School of Business, Hammons School of Architecture, and Modern European Studies students. Many programs offer courses that will fulfill CORE requirements as well as electives. Be sure to check with your advisor when planning where to study to determine if the courses offered through that specific study abroad program will meet your needs.

Q: Once I sign up for a study abroad program, what's next?

Students will be expected to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm their plans to participate. Before paying the deposit it is important that students review the full cost involved in participation. All students participating in study abroad programs are required to participate in orientation meetings prior to departure. Issues of health and safety while abroad, flight preparations, passport/ visa requirements, health insurance, behavioral expectations, etc. will be discussed during these orientation meetings.

Q: Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad?

Generally, no. Most of our Drury semester and short term study abroad programs are English-based. However, for those students interested in the semester or year-long exchange program in Granada, Spain, fluency in the Spanish language is a must. In addition, for those students interested in the semester exchange programs in Luneburg, Germany and Poitiers, France, two semesters of foreign language (FREN 101 and 102/GERM 101 and 102) are required before studying abroad. For any of our affiliated study abroad programs, students should confirm language proficiency requirements before applying.

Q: Will my scholarships and financial aid count towards my study abroad program?

Scholarships and financial aid will go with you only for certain semester term programs with the exception of work study, music activity grants, the residential scholarship and some athletic scholarships (for Regents College in London, England tuition remission and tuition exchange only cover a portion of the total tuition cost). The Office for International Programs also awards limited study abroad scholarships for semester and short term programs. For Drury short term study abroad programs scholarships and financial aid do not go with the student with the exception of student loans (if eligible) and study abroad scholarships. For affiliated semester programs federal financial aid through Drury University can go with you but institutional and state funds do not. For affiliated short term programs no scholarships or financial aid through Drury will go with you.

Q: Will the grades I earn abroad be factored into my Drury University GPA?

A: Yes. Grades do factor into a student's overall GPA for Drury year long, semester, and short term programs. For affiliated programs, students must complete a transfer of credit form (available in the Registrar’s Office). With approval from the appropriate department chair credit can transfer but not the grade (students must earn a grade of C or better in order for the credit to transfer). Students participating in an affiliated semester study abroad program must also complete a Leave of Absence form (found in the Registrar’s Office) and have it approved by the appropriate officials.

Q: Does Drury University offer its own program abroad?

Yes! Drury’s flagship study abroad program is located on the beautiful Greek island of Aegina. This program is operated by the university and offers fall and spring semester programs as well as short term study abroad opportunities during the winter and summer. The town of Aegina is located on the island of the same name, in the Saronic Gulf just southwest of Athens. It is a picturesque and lively port town, arranged around the harbor, with fishing boats, ferries, and a marina.