1. Howard: You mean you take this Horoscope business seriously?
Aunt: Yes, of course. Don't you see how today's horoscope fit you to a T?
Howard: Yes, but...
Aunt: No buts. There must be something to it.
(From Howard Kahane, Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric)
2. A friend of mine got food poisoning from MacDonald's last week. I'm never going there again!
3. Jimmy Swaggart was an Assemblies of God tele-evangelist. While building a multi-million dollar "ministry" by preaching a fundamentalist message of biblical inerrancy and scaring people with threats of hellfire and damnation on TV, he was privately cavorting with prostitutes in seedy hotel rooms.
I guess all those fundamentalists must be liars and hypocrites.
4. Ford is an American-made car.
I owned a Ford, and it broke down all the time.
A car that breaks down all the time is not very good.
/.. American-made cars are not very good.
4. This year marks the 100th anniversary of two organizations founded by women, the P.T.A. and the League of Women Voters - organizations that have had a profound impact on American, indeed, international life.
I guess women were pretty remarkable a hundred years ago.