Animals on Campus Policy

Unless an animal is a service animal or an approved Emotional Support Animal (ESA) or pet, the animal is not allowed on campus. Providing care for any animal on campus with the exception of service animals and approved ESAs and pets is strictly prohibited. Only service animals are allowed inside non-residential campus buildings. The Housing Office will provide additional policies for approved ESAs and pets.

Drury reserves the right to charge a student’s account for any costs associated with removing an unauthorized animal from campus.

The health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and the emotional support animal is an important concern; therefore, each request for such an accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis by DSS in conjunction with Housing and the Dean of Students. Residents may request to have no more than one animal due to the confined living space.

When the Director of DSS has determined a qualifying disability exists, he/she will contact the Housing Office. At that time, the Housing Office will schedule a meeting with the student to discuss reasonable accommodations. If the request may be reasonably accommodated and does not fundamentally alter the housing program or community, the Housing Office will provide an agreement that outlines the rules and obligations for having that particular species in campus housing.

After the student has signed the agreement and provided the required veterinary records outlined for that species, the Housing Office will provide written confirmation to the student (and need-to-know offices) that the emotional support animal may reside with the student in his/her assigned bedroom or apartment. An approved emotional support animal [that is not also defined as a service animal) may only be in a student's private dwelling (assigned bedroom or apartment) and is prohibited in all other campus locations. When being transported out of the room, the animal must be caged or leashed.

Emotional support animals are required to be housebroken, be in good health and vaccinated per all applicable laws, and under adult control at all times. Emotional support animals may not infringe upon the right of other tenants to enjoy their residence (allergies, noise, odor, phobias, scratching, chewing, etc.). More species-specific obligations will be outlined in the emotional support agreement.

Drury may reassign a student to a different housing location to accommodate a request for an emotional support animal. Additionally, if the animal infringes upon the rights of other residents or poses a threat to others, the student may lose the right to have the animal in housing.

A student may request an extension into the next academic year, but must provide updated vaccination/vet records before approval will be granted.

Students should not acquire an animal prior to signing & filing the species-specific agreement to ensure the animal will meet Drury's parameters, and is not prohibited by law. A student who has an animal in campus housing areas without official Housing Office approval is in violation of our no-pets policy [with the exceptions of a service animal or fish in <10-gallon tank). In that circumstance, there is an automatic $150 fine assessed to the student's account.

Additionally, prior to obtaining an animal, students should consider their academic, co-curricular and social commitments to establish how much time and energy is available for animal care/exercise. Consider the animal's temperament--will the animal be quiet and well-mannered in a small residential space? Students should establish a plan for the financial costs of animal food, medications, supplies, training, grooming, veterinary & emergency care, and off-campus boarding in the event the student must leave town overnight. If the animal does not get along in campus housing or is too difficult to care for who will take the animal? Being mindful of these factors and questions will help ensure a successful match between student and animal.