Incomplete Grades

An “I” grade is given for incomplete work only if illness or other unavoidable causes prevent the student from completing the course. The student is responsible for contacting the instructor and determining what must be done to remove the “I” grade. Coursework must be completed and the “I” grade replaced with a final grade by the end of the first week of the regular semester (fall or spring) immediately following the semester in which the incomplete was assigned. Graduating students receiving an incomplete in their final semester must complete the coursework and have a final grade assigned within two weeks following the end of that same semester. The instructor granting the incomplete, or the department chair in his or her absence, is required to report to the registrar a grade for the permanent record by the end of the period indicated. A grade of “I” not removed within the time period allowed, will automatically be changed to an “F.”

A request for extension to move the deadline for replacement of an incomplete to a final grade to the end of the current semester, may be requested by the faculty member who assigned the incomplete. No more than two extensions (two semesters) will be granted for an incomplete. Until the grade has been formally recorded, the course will not be considered as hours attempted and thus will not be a part of the cumulative grade point average.