Moving, serving, learning: New students join DU community via service and hands-on experience
SPRINGFIELD, Mo., Aug. 16, 2018 — The newest members of the Drury family arrive on campus this weekend as freshmen move into residence halls and start learning what it means to be a Panther. Robust numbers for the incoming class are expected to push Drury's undergraduate enrollment higher for the third year in a row.
Faculty, staff and upperclassmen will help the new students move into the residence halls on Friday morning. A full weekend of orientation will follow. Monday features two events that have become a Drury tradition – the community-wide Service Plunge and an on-campus celebration capped off by a fireworks show.
These four days are an excellent opportunity for local media to speak to students during their orientation experience and capture some great visuals, as seen in videos about Move-In Day and the Service Plunge & School Year Kick-Off Celebration from 2017. Media are invited to cover any and all events throughout the weekend. Contact Media Relations Director Mike Brothers for more information about the full schedule. Highlights are below.
Friday, Aug. 17
- 7:45 a.m. to noon– New students move into residence halls. The best time for photos, video and interviews is typically before 9:30 a.m.
Sunday, Aug. 19
- 5 to 7 p.m. – Dinner and dessert at various faculty members’ homes in the nearby Midtown neighborhood. Faculty and freshmen are available for interviews during this uniquely Drury event.
Monday, Aug. 20
- 9:30 a.m. to noon– More than 20 Community Service Plunge projects at various locations across Springfield, including:
- Convoy of Hope
- Ozarks Food Harvest
- Arc of the Ozarks
- Eden Village
- The Fairbanks
- Midtown Community Gardens
- 7 to 9 p.m.– Finale celebration at the fountains in front of Findlay Student Center. Fireworks begin at 9 p.m. at adjacent Sunderland Field.
Evening classes begin at 5 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 20. Students in the traditional undergraduate program will begin classes on Tuesday, Aug. 21.
Media Contact: Mike Brothers, Executive Director of University Relations - (417) 873-7390 or firstname.lastname@example.org.