Drury recognizes outstanding faculty and Warren White Scholars
SPRINGFIELD, Mo., August 29, 2018 — Drury University recently recognized outstanding faculty and second-year students at its 2018 Opening Convocation. The ceremony officially began Drury’s 145th academic year with an address from President Tim Cloyd.
In his address, Cloyd used the story of Albert Einstein’s early struggles as a student to illustrate the difference between knowledge and wisdom – and the difference that high-impact, personalized teaching can make in preparing a student for both their life and their career.
“Your faculty and staff mentors will challenge you to know yourselves,” he told incoming freshmen.
Cloyd noted that the best teaching and learning does not happen in a vacuum but takes place within a community and a culture of accountability and virtue.
“Here at Drury we recognize our common humanness,” Cloyd said. “That is why the culture of the Drury Family is one of care and support for each other. Our culture affirms kindness, trust, mercy, and empathy. And our culture is positive, energetic, and collaborative. We celebrate wonder, joy, and hope. We welcome change and call each other into accountability to live out our values.”
Nominations for Faculty Awards are received from students, faculty, administrators and alumni. A committee of students and faculty selects the winners. The honorees were recognized for challenging, engaging and inspiring students both inside and outside the classroom.
The 2018 Faculty Award winners are:
- Faculty Award for Scholarship: Keith Hedges, M. Arch., Associate Professor of Architecture
- Faculty Award for Teaching:Ioana Popescu, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biology
- Faculty Award for Liberal Learning: Rachael Herrington, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology
Warren White Scholars
In addition, the Judge Warren White Scholars were honored. Each honoree receives a $350 scholarship. These students have the highest grade point averages after completion of their first year at Drury. Warren White graduated from Drury in 1904 and served as a Greene County circuit court judge for 36 years.
The 2018 Judge Warren White Scholars are:
- Claire M. Allen– Kearney, MO
- Brittany Cell Anderson – Springfield, MO
- Laura Katherine Blankenship– Shawnee, OK
- Caroline Jennings Conrad– Memphis, TN
- Brooke Elizabeth Crabtree– Peculiar, MO
- Camilla Marie DiSanto– Effingham, SC
- Kathy Duong– Wichita, KS
- Raven Nicole Graham– Willard, MO
- Camille N. Hall– Osage Beach, MO
- Anna Elizabeth Meadows– Bolivar, MO
- Michelle Claudette Medina Hernandez– San Pedro Sula, Honduras
- Sarah Michelle Merlenbach– Florissant, MO
- Mylan Juliette Nichols– Ozark, MO
- Bernard Paul Parrish III– Springfield, MO
- Jordon Lee Schultze– Springfield, MO
- Quincy Morgan Standage– Springfield, MO
- Megan Jo Tersteeg– Defiance, MO
- Kayle Marie Welch– Independence, MO
- Kevin Gregory West– Springfield, MO
- Alyah Catheryne Wilder– Republic, MO