How to Apply for a Missouri State Driver License
To apply for a Missouri Driver License, you must take a written test and a driving test. For a copy of the Missouri State Driver’s Manual, you can go to http://www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl/drivers/dlguide/. You can also pick up a paper copy at the Springfield Contract Office. This manual will help you study for the written portion of the test and provide you with Missouri driving laws.
Although there are three contract offices in the city, only the Springfield Contract Office gives the driving portion of the test.
Springfield Contract Office – in downtown
149 Park Central Square Room 116
State Office Building
Springfield, MO 65806
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm & Saturday 8:00am to 12:00noon
You MUST take these items with you when you apply for the Missouri Driver License:
- Passport with US visa
- I-94 card or online printout – https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov
- I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students)
- Currently Enrolled Letter from Registrar’s office in Bay Hall (Obtain an enrollment verification)
- Proof of Residency (this could be a copy of your housing contract or lease, a bill with your name and Springfield address (utility bill, phone bill, etc…), or a bank statement with your name and Springfield address.
- Social Security Card or if you don’t have a social security number, you will need a letter from the Social Security Administration stating that you are not eligible for a social security card. (bring the items above #1-5 to the SSA office)
- For F-2 or J-2 dependents, they must take the I-20 or DS-2019 with them and a letter of current enrollment stating their spouse is a full-time student of Drury (letters of enrollment are completed by the Registrar’s office in Bay Hall)
For more information, please refer to the Missouri Department of Revenue web page at http://www.dor.mo.gov/index.htm.
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
1570 W. Battlefield, Suite 100
Springfield, MO 65807
Hours: M.Tu. Thur. F : 9 am – 3 pm / W : 9 am to noon
The Social Security Administration is on Battlefield just east of Kansas Expressway across the street from Dillon’s Market.