Sexual Violence - Risk Reduction Tips
Risk reduction tips can often take a victim-blaming tone, even unintentionally. With no intention to victim-blame, and with recognition that only those who commit sexual violence are responsible for those actions, these suggestions may help you to reduce your risk of experiencing a non-consensual sexual act.
- If you have limits, make them known as early as possible
- Tell a sexual aggressor “NO” clearly and firmly
- Try to remove yourself from the physical presence of a sexual aggressor
- Find someone nearby and ask for help
- Take affirmative responsibility for your alcohol intake/drug use and acknowledge that alcohol/drugs lower your sexual inhibitions and may make you vulnerable to someone who views a drunk or high person as a sexual opportunity
- Take care of your friends and ask that they take care of you. A real friend will challenge you if you are about to make a mistake. Respect them when they do.