Housing for Students with Disabilities

Drury University > Housing & Residence Life > Housing for Students with Disabilities

Your decision to attend Drury is the beginning of an exciting journey. Along with that excitement come a lot of questions. Among them are safety, accessibility and ease of mobility across campus. Your personal needs merit consideration, and helping you meet those needs is important to us. The Division of Student Affairs at Drury is committed to providing and improving accessible housing for students with disabilities. The Housing office will help provide reasonable accommodations for students who show a documented need. If you need special housing accommodations, be sure to attach a letter to your housing contract describing your needs.

We encourage you to visit our campus and tour Sunderland Hall, Wallace Hall, and University Suites and College Park apartments by appointment through Disability Services at any time during the year. Our Coordinator of Disability Services will be happy to assist you and answer any questions. Disability Services can also help with classroom accommodations, adaptive technology, writing assistance, counseling and faculty consultation.

Buildings and Rooms

Sunderland Hall, Wallace Hall, and College Park and University Suites apartments have ADA-accessible rooms. If you plan to bring your own furniture or other equipment, please make arrangements through Disability Services. Single occupancy rooms are available when medical need is verified and documented by your doctor; otherwise, single rooms are granted as space permits.

Independent living devices are the responsibility of the student. In order to receive assistance, you must provide documentation of your need. You must also send separate documentation to Disability Services to facilitate academic assistance.

Special Accommodations

With appropriate advance notice, certain modifications, such as changing the type of door lock or lowering electrical outlets, clothes racks, shelves and mirrors are easily accomplished. There is no cost associated with these adjustments.

Personal and Other Assistants

Recruiting and supervising personal care assistants are the responsibility of the student. If a student has a service animal, he or she must be able to show how the service animal was trained and what service they meet for the student. Guides and service animals may stay in your room. If a student has an emotional support animal, he or she must be able to show the student has a disability and that the animal fulfills a disability-related need.  Please notify Disability Services and the Housing Director in advance if you plan to bring a service/support animal with you.

Enhancing Personal Safety

Upon arrival, notify your Resident Director of your medical concerns and needs. Your safety and well-being are of utmost importance to us. Your Resident Director will help you develop an emergency plan that meets your needs.

Parking and Transportation

Designated accessible parking spots are available in each residential lot. Accessible parking permits must be obtained through the Department of Motor Vehicles.   Drury University does not issue any special parking permits. Students are also responsible for their own transportation to and from campus.

Dietary Needs

If you have special dietary needs, contact Fresh Idea Foods directly. They can be reached via email or by calling (417)-873-7286

Drury University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution and is non-discriminatory relative to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or status as a Vietnam-era veteran.