About the Spanish Program
In today's world, effective communication is an essential skill. As the world veers toward a global economy, learning another language and gaining the knowledge of another culture and its people can further enhance your attractiveness to employers and your ability to interact with people in all areas of life.
U.S. census data show that the Hispanic population of the United States has increased by 50% since 1990. Government projections place the total Hispanic population at 73,055 people, or 20% of total the U.S population by the year 2030.
Spanish as a second or a third language in the future could prove to be a requirement, or give an added edge when pursuing a career in business, government, communication, the foreign service, social work, education, journalism, travel & tourism, translation & interpretation, science & technology, and international relations.
In addition to its career benefits, studying Spanish will allow you to explore a whole new world of travel in México, Central and South America, Spain and the Caribbean, meeting new people and enjoying new experiences.
The Department of Languages and Literature offers a Spanish Major and a Spanish Minor. Additionally, Drury University Study Abroad offers a year-round study abroad program in Granada, Spain and various short term summer programs in Spain, Mexico, and Central and South America that vary year by year.
General Language References:
- Spanish Tourism’s Official Youtube Page
- Spain Official Tourism Website
- Madrid Events and Tourism Website
- El País Online News
- Spanish Television Online
- Amazon Watch
- Chile Tourist Office
- Costa Rica Tourist Office
- El Comercio (Lima)
- El Universal (Mexcio City)
- Guatemala Tourist Office
- Latin America Links
- Lonely Planet: Latin America
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Pachamama Alliance
- Palenque, Chiapas, Mexico
Apps for Mobile Devices:
Search for these free apps on your mobile devices:
- Wordreference: Spanish-Language dictionary (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone)
- RTVE: Spanish radio (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone)
- *Viber: Free texting and calls to anyone in the world with this app (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone)
- *WhatsApp: Free texting to anyone in the world with this app (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone)
- Duo Lingo: Free language-learning app that tests vocab, grammar, reading, writing, and listening skills (iPhone, Android)
*Especially recommended for students studying or traveling abroad