File Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Financial aid programs are available to students who demonstrate financial need. Financial need is determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is the first step and cornerstone of your financial aid search.


File as early as possible, or at least before your college and state grant agencies' financial aid deadlines or preferred filing dates. Most student financial aid is limited (there isn't always enough for everyone who applies) and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, submitting your application early/on time ensures that you'll be considered for the maximum amount of aid for which you may be eligible.

Drury's recommended deadline to file your FAFSA is January 15. If you are a Missouri resident, file before the February 1 deadline to see if you qualify for the AccessMO Grant. 


The financial assistance application process takes 4-6 weeks. Make sure you answer all the questions carefully, completely, and accurately to avoid delays in processing that might affect the amount of aid you receive. You must file the FAFSA every year of your college career to receive financial aid. All students applying for financial aid must have a social security number.

The First Step: Filing the FAFSA

You may use either of these methods to file your FAFSA:

  1. Through the web site:
  2. Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-319-337-5665. If you are hearing impaired, please contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913

The school code for Drury University is 002461. Please include this number when filing your FAFSA electronically or by mail so that Drury will receive your Student Aid Report information.

PIN Application Process/E-signature Feature

Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents. An FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature. To create your FSA ID, visit

Frequently Asked Questions About the FAFSA

When I complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), what types of financial aid am I considered for?

Once Drury University’s student financial aid office receives your FAFSA information, they will determine if you are eligible for the following types of financial aid:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Teacher Education Assistance Grant (TEACH)
  • Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal work study
  • State Grants

I've missed the Drury University January 15 deadline for priority aid consideration. Is it useless to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) now?

No, you can still send your FAFSA in to apply for a Pell Grant and a Stafford Loan.

Should I wait to file my FAFSA until my taxes are done?

If you do not have your tax returns completed by the first week in March, you can estimate income figures on the FAFSA. However, it is best to complete your tax return early and provide accurate information. This will avoid corrections and delays in processing your aid.

What if I didn't list Drury University’s school code on my FAFSA? How do I get the information to financial aid office at Drury University?

Go to the FAFSA corrections menu on the FAFSA website, add our school code (002461) to your application and submit the correction. You will need your PIN for this option.
You may call 1-800-433-3233 to make the school code change.  You will need your data release number (DRN) for this option. The DRN is the four-digit number located in the bottom left hand corner of the Student Aid Report (SAR).

If my parents are separated or divorced, who should complete the parent's information on the FAFSA?

The parent you lived with most in the last 12 months should complete the FAFSA. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, answer in terms of the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually were supported by a parent. Support includes money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car, medical and dental care, payment for college costs, etc.

If my parent has remarried, do I have to include my stepparent's information on the FAFSA?

Yes, if your parent is married on the day you completed the FAFSA.

My parents do not claim me on their tax forms.  Do I need to include their information on the FAFSA?

Yes. See the definition of an “Independent Student” below.

I am really independent. Why do I have to apply for financial aid using my parent's information?

The definition of “Independent” is defined specifically by the law. You will automatically be considered independent for financial aid purposes if you meet one or more of the criteria as defined at

I originally reported that I had $ x,xxx in my savings account on my FAFSA. Since then I have used that money, can I correct this dollar amount?

No, you must report asset information as of the date you signed the original FAFSA.

I'm going to be married during the school year. Can I fill out my FAFSA as “Married” now since I will be married in a few months?

No. You must accurately report marital status at the time you complete the FAFSA. You might want to wait and complete your FAFSA after you are married. Consult with your financial aid advisor on this situation.