Ideas & tips for evaluating applicants
Human Resources will refer only qualified candidates – those possessing the required education and experience, and skill level (if skill testing is conducted) – to the department for consideration.
If you will be participating in the screening of resumes/applications, here are some steps to follow:
- Develop the list of criteria against which all candidates will be evaluated.
- Carefully review each candidate’s experience and knowledge, skills and abilities against your criteria.
Here are some things to consider and on which to evaluate:
- Neatness of printing and completeness of the application
- A well organized concise cover letter
- An organized presentation of facts
- Experience as it relates to the open position
- Skill competencies
- Career progression and development
- Any large gaps in work chronology
- Results orientation and accomplishments
Return to Staff Recruitment & Hiring