Ten events in the 10th month of 2010 marks the opening of Drury's O'Reilly Family Event
For Immediate Release: August 23
O’Reilly Family Event Center Director
Office: (417) 873-6381
Mobile: (417) 849-0155
SPRINGFIELD, Mo., Aug. 23, 2010— Drury University will open up the new O’Reilly Family Event Center with ten events in the tenth month of 2010 culminating with the Aretha Franklin concert on Oct. 30. The O’Reilly Family Event Center project broke ground in May 2009, and the public will get its first look inside on Oct. 1.
Tickets for all events can be purchased at www.drurytickets.com unless otherwise noted.
- Friday, Oct. 1, is Celebrate Good Times on the Plaza. The evening will feature building tours, a barbecue, a concert with M-Dock Band and former Lady Panther Liz Moriondo, and a fireworks show. Tickets to the event are FREE with an online RSVP.
- Saturday, Oct. 2, the O’Reilly Family Event Center will be the start and finish for the Panther Run benefiting Care to Learn. The event features 10-kilometer and 5-kilometer runs and a 2-mile run/walk. The Panther Run is the first race in the Ozark Mountain Ridge Runners’ Triple Crown series. Go to www.active.com to register.
- Friday, Oct. 8, will feature the first sporting event in the O’Reilly Family Event Center when the Panther volleyball team hosts the University of Missouri of Science and Technology at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 9, the O’Reilly Family Event Center will play host to the Springfield Symphony Pops concert series featuring music from famous movies. Call the Symphony at (417) 864-6683 for tickets.
- The middle of the month marks the start of basketball practice and the Panthers and Lady Panthers will entertain fans with hoops hysteria on Friday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m. Admission is one can of food.
- Saturday, Oct. 16, is the Hammons School of Architecture’s 25th Anniversary Gala Event in the O’Reilly Family Event Center.
- The ninth annual Drury Athletics Auction is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 23, at 5 p.m.
- On Thursday, Oct. 28, music will fill the O’Reilly Family Event Center when Axel and the Equators take the stage at 7 p.m. for a night of swinging blues music. Tickets are $25.
- Lifehouse brings its “radio-ready” sound to O’Reilly on Friday, Oct. 29. The band broke out in 2001 when its single “Hanging by a Moment” became the most played radio song of the year. Lifehouse is joined on the card by 2009 American Idol winner Kris Allen. Tickets go on sale Aug. 28 at 10 a.m. The Drury community may buy tickets on Aug. 27. Tickets cost $29, $25 and $20.
- Saturday, Oct. 30, features the building dedication and ribbon cutting at 9 a.m. The Grand Opening Finale Concert with Aretha Franklin is that night at 8 p.m. Tickets are still available.
The big events continue into November with former Hootie and the Blowfish front man Darius Rucker and funny man Bill Engvall scheduled to appear at the O’Reilly Family Event Center.
Drury is an independent University, church related, grounded in the liberal arts tradition and committed to personalized education in a community of scholars who value the arts of teaching and learning. Education at Drury seeks to cultivate spiritual sensibilities and imaginative faculties as well as ethical insight and critical thought; to foster the integration of theoretical and practical knowledge; and to liberate persons to participate responsibly in and contribute to a global community. For more information, visit www.drury.edu/strategicplan.
University Communications staff are available to news media 24 hours a day at (417) 839-2886. Visit the Office of University Communications online at http://news.drury.edu. Resources include a searchable Expert Guide, staff contacts and downloadable print-quality images and logos.