Contact: Dr. Laurie Edmondson
Interim Director of the School of Education & Child Development
Office: (417) 873-7271
Fax: (417) 873-7269
What Does Our Poet Laureate Do?
- Works with School of Education and Child Development staff and administration on what would serve them best.
- Creates opportunities to present via Internet to students in schools beyond our area, such as Kansas City and St. Louis.
- Speaks to Drury senior or graduate classes about the field of children’s literature in general and poetry in particular.
- Annually visits students at three Springfield (area) schools.
- Co-hosts an on-campus workshop for teachers who want to introduce poetry in their classrooms.
- Co-hosts an open mike poetry event for Drury students.
- Co-hosts a program featuring Drury students on KSMU during National Poetry Month in April.
- Writes articles for the paper about the importance of poetry at home and in the classroom.
- Is interviewed in 417 Magazine on the role of a university poet laureate.
- Meets with Springfield Public School leaders on how Drury’s poet laureate can help them.
- Meets with leaders of state teaching and librarian associations on how Drury’s poet laureate can help them.
- Considers how Missouri’s state poet laureate and Drury’s poet laureate might work together in some way.