Frequently Asked Questions - for Students

Answers to Your Student Employment Questions

If you have any other questions, contact Human Resources at or at 417-873-7434.


Q: Who is eligible for campus employment?
There are several criterion that must be met in order to be eligible for campus employment:

    1. Must be an undergraduate day school student.
    2. Must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours).
    3. US citizens must have a current FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid office. (International Students are not required to complete a FASFA.)
    4. Students without a work study award must not be hired into a position that would displace a student with an award.

Q: What is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study is a work program funded by the federal government that reimburses participating schools for a portion of an eligible student’s earned wages. Domestic students demonstrating financial need may be eligible for work study.

FWS is a work program, not a grant or scholarship. Participating students work in a job on-campus, earn an hourly wage and receive a paycheck as they would in any other job. The work study amount shown on the financial aid award letter is the maximum amount a student may earn under the program. Only students who work enough hours over the course of the semester to earn that maximum amount will receive the full amount of the award shown on the award letter. Students wishing to earn the full amount of their award will need to be flexible, responsive to communications and be available to work. A heavy class load and/or several activities may interfere with a student’s ability to earn the full amount of his/her award.

In order for Financial Aid to determine whether or not you have need, you must complete and file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by April 1st for the following academic year.

New students with a work study award should monitor Drury email frequently for important information regarding work study.

Q: How do I know if I have received an award?
A: You will need to login to your MyDrury account to view your award letter from financial aid.

Q: Does Work Study mean that I can study while I work?
A: No. The use of the word "study" in the Federal Work Study program is intended in the sense that the federal government provides work opportunities for students while they are enrolled in school. All student staff members are expected to be fully engaged in their job while they are working. Failure to show up for scheduled shifts, put forth effort, etc. is not tolerated. Performance issues will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination and it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to get another work study job when you are terminated from another position.

Q: What do I need to do to accept the award?
A: You will need to monitor your email and follow instructions and ensure you meet the required deadlines for specific activities. Failure to meet these deadlines and requirements will result in the removal of the work study award. Important deadlines are listed below for the 2013-14 Academic Year.

Accept work study award in MyDrury
May 1st
Begin to apply for work study positions August 1st
Deadline to apply for work study positions
August 23rd
Attend mandatory orientation
First week of classes
Complete employment paperwork
August 30th
Identify assigned work study position
September 9th

Q: Am I required to earn the full amount of the award?
A: No. This is just the maximum amount you are authorized to earn through the Federal Work Study program. Many students don't work enough hours to earn the full amount of the award because they have busy schedules, prefer not to work in the evenings or weekends, or the job they were hired for doesn't offer enough hours to earn the full amount and they choose not to pick up additional hours with temporary assignments.

Q: Am I required to work nights and weekends to earn the full amount of my award?
A: Probably. Depending on the job you have, you may be required to work nights and/or weekends as part of your regular schedule. You might also have a job in a department that doesn't have a need for you to work the amount of hours you'd need to earn the full amount of your award. It is also possible that your class schedule might not allow you to work the full amount of hours you'd need to earn the full amount of your award during the department's operating hours. If you would like to work additional hours to earn more toward your work study award, you will need to sign up to be on the listserv for additional temporary assignments by emailing These temporary assignments will likely also be during the evenings and on weekends.

Q: How many hours a week can I work without exhausting my work study award before the end of the semester?
A: The table below illustrates the approximate earnings a student could expect to earn per semester by working the stated number of hours per week. This formula is based on an hourly wage of $7.35 x number hours x 16 weeks. Note: Typically a student with a work study award can only earn funds while classes are in session. Work during winter break and after spring graduation should be approved by your supervisor in advance. Work study is not available in the summer.



Weekly Hours
Approximate Earnings Per Semester

Q: When can I start applying for jobs?
A: Students who will be attending Drury for the first time in the fall will be allowed to begin applying for jobs on August 1st. This is also the deadline for supervisors to post work study positions so all available positions should be posted by this date. New students who have work study as part of their financial aid package and intend to participate in the work study program will be required to apply for positions by August 23rd. Failure to meet required deadlines will result in the loss of your work study award.

Q: What kind of work study jobs will I be considered for?
A: There are several departments that employ students with a work study award. However, it is important to note most new students will find employment in one of our large campus employers such as the cafeteria and/or the O'Reilly Family Event Center. As a student with a work study award, you may apply for any of the student positions posted on the website.

Q: What kind of jobs can I apply for if I don't have work study as part of my financial aid package?
A: Other full-time day students without a work study award in their financial aid package can apply for the jobs listed as "Open to all eligible students." These positions are typically not posted until after work study students have found employment.

Q: How do I apply for a job?
A: For day school students follow the directions in day school students apply for a job.

Q: What happens after I submit my application?

  • Applications are collected by the Human Resources office for student jobs that are posted.
  • Applications are reviewed and eligibility of applicants is verified.
  • Applications are sent to the hiring department and are reviewed by the supervisor in the hiring department. He/she will determine which applicants to interview. The department selects those applicants whose qualifications and experience most closely meet the needs or requirements of the position/department. Please note that most hiring departments do not contact students to interview prior to the start of the semester. However, it is a good idea to check messages and monitor Drury email after you've applied for positions. It is also recommended that students intending to participate in the work study program apply for jobs as early as possible during the August 1st-August 23rd application window.
  • After the interview process, the hiring supervisor makes a decision about which applicant to hire and notifies Human Resources of the decision.

Q: I have been hired on campus, now what do I do?
A: Next, you need to come to Human Resources in Burnham 107 to complete your employment information. This only takes about 5-10 minutes. You will need to bring in original documentation of your identity and eligibility to work in the United States.  You may not begin working until you have completed the required paperwork. See Student Employment Handouts and Forms for a list of acceptable documents.

Q: What is my appointment letter?
A: This is an email confirmation of your employment and includes your title, department, supervisor, and wage.

Q: How many hours per week can an international student work?
A: While school is in session, an international student can work 20 hours per week. When school is not in session, s/he may work up to 40 hours per week. If school is in session for even a part of that week students are only allowed to work 20 hours per week.

Q: How many hours per week can a domestic student work?
A: Domestic students shouldn't be scheduled to regularly work more than 20 hours a week but on occasion may work up to 40 hours per week regardless of whether school is in session. However, academics are the first priority so this is not recommended while school is in session.

Q: How much will I be paid?
A: Most student jobs on campus pay the minimum wage rate of $7.35 per hour.

Q: When are timesheets due?
A: Timesheets are due in the business office by 5pm on the last business day of the month. Employees of the Library, Commons, and the CX have timesheets or timecards submitted by supervisors and do not need to turn in to Payroll.

Q: When are students paid?
A: Students will be paid on the 15th of each month for hours worked.

Q: How am I paid?
A: Students are paid via Direct Deposit. Students that do not have a bank account may enroll in Ready Fund$ to receive payment on a debit card. See Student Employment Handouts and Forms page for enrollment forms for Direct Deposit and Ready Fund$.

Q: What if I need to quit my job?
A: If you need to quit your job, please give your supervisor atwo week notice and a resignation letter.