Sorority Recruitment: Preference Event
Preference Event (NPC requirements underlined)
Location: Panhellenic Building, begin in Hoblit Suite
Sixth official event of formal recruitment-Required for PNMs
Date & Time
Sunday, August 25th
10:30 am to 2:00 pm
Sorority Recruitment Preference Day event is the final official day of formal recruitment. This day provides PNMs a final opportunity to discover which chapter they will be the best math for them. Each PNM will visit one or two suites based on the preferences of the chapters and the PNMs. After the events are over the PNMs will make their final selection.
- Panhellenic meeting and set-up: 9:45 am
- Time and Safety Check: 10:00 am
- Team meeting: 10:30- 10:45 am
- 50 minute rounds and 15 minute breaks
- Round 1: 10:50 am- 11:40 pm
- Round 2: 11:55- 12:45 pm
- Final Group meeting and selection: 12:45-1:15 pm
- Final Bid list due at 2:00 pm
Kappa Delta Suite
Pi Beta Phi Suite
Zeta Tau Alpha Suite
Recruitment Counselors Suggested Conversation:
Start Meeting begins at 10:30 am: 15-20 minutes
- Group Introductions: Welcome back to Preference Day of Sorority Recruitment.
- Applicable recruitment rules: Let’s begin today by discussing a few important rules and processes for Sorority Recruitment:
- Strict Silence: After the Preference event has concluded and you’ve made your final selections, you will enter into a period that called Strict Silence. This means that under no circumstances should you contact or be contacted by a current sorority member. You need this time to prep for your evening and, let’s be honest, at this point, the current members have zero concrete details about bid matching selections or their new members—and won’t be able to share any details with you. Please don’t contact anyone and if anyone contacts you, please let me know. Strict silence will end at the conclusion of the bid reveal ceremony, when you meet your new chapter.
- Promising Bids: Please remember as you are speaking with current members today that one individual chapter member isn’t able to speak for the entire chapter. If you are guaranteed membership into a chapter, please let me know.
- No Favors: Please don’t accept gifts from any chapter members. We work to make the Sorority Recruitment process as fair and equal as possible. If you are offered a gift item, please let me know.
- Bid Matching: “The process completed after all Membership Recruitment Acceptance Binding Agreements have been completed. The ICS computer program matches your choices with those of the sororities. Through this process Panhellenic will make every effort to place you in a chapter according to your list.
- Snap Bidding: An option available to chapters who did not get matched with their allotment of new members. During snap bidding, chapters may offer a bid to you if your preferences weren’t matched on your Sorority Life Membership Acceptance contract. This process will take place before the bid reveal ceremony later today.
- Continuous Open Bidding: Available to chapters that did not get matched with their allotment of new members and still have spaces available to accept members after recruitment has concluded.
- What we’re doing for this event: Preference day provides you a final opportunity to discover which chapter you feel will be the best match for your college experience and beyond. You will visit one or two suites and meet many new and familiar chapter members. My fellow recruitment counselors and I will be guiding you through the entire day. There will also be a short intermission after the each suite visit, where you’ll have about a break in this area. After you visit your final suite, you’ll come back to the Hoblit suite for a small group or individual meeting with me.
- “Please leave personal items here in the Suite like your cellphone and purse. A Panhellenic Advisor will be in here the whole time watching over your things. If you have a personal reason why your stuff must be left on you, you may talk to me separately.”
- PNM Event Attendance: You may again notice that some events have more attendees than other events today. This is not a reflection of any chapter; the size of the events has to do with Panhellenic scheduling. You’ll notice that today your first events will be larger than your final event.
- Distribute Individual Schedules now
- Line up PNMs Alphabetically by LAST name
- Lead Group to Suite
- Arrive to Suite 5 minutes before round end time to pick up group
- Repeat process for each Suite visit
- PNM Completed all visits? Stay in Hoblit Suite with Panhellenic Advisor until RC returns
After Meeting and Reminders:
- What to expect: “Tonight is the Bid Reveal ceremony. This is where you will find out which chapter you’ve been invited to become a member. We’ll have our final large group team meeting and then you’ll get to join your new chapter. We will take an all sorority picture and you’ll spend time with your new chapter, new sorority sisters and your new pledge class.
- Meeting & Schedule: “Please be on time tonight. Bid Reveal ceremony begins at 5:00pm. This will be our final group/team meeting for Sorority Recruitment.
- Location: Our team will be meeting in the FSC Ballroom. Here is where it is on campus: just behind the Panhellenic building. Here how you get there: you may enter through the main or the side doors of the upper level.
- Selection & Special Notes: The Bid Reveal ceremony is the final Panhellenic celebration at the conclusion of your Recruitment Experience and marks your first time as a Drury sorority woman. We will have a short celebratory ceremony and then take you to meet your new sisters.
Situational Conversation Suggestions:
- Intentional Single Preferences:
- NPC discourages PNMs from making intentional single preferences on their daily selection cards (formerly known as suicide selections). This significantly limits their options for sorority membership and may also remove them from the Sorority recruitment process if their selection does not match the chapter selection. However, NPC also discourages forcing PNMs to list chapters that they have no interest in joining.
- If a PNM chooses to make an intentional single preference, the Recruitment Counselor should remind them of the potential outcome of their choice, encourage them to make additional selections, but allow the PNM to make the decision that is in her best interests:
- Suggested Working: “I noticed that you have only listed one chapter on your selection card. Are you sure this is what you want to do? Just to let you know, if for some reason the chapter you listed does not list you on their invitation list, you will be released from recruitment. This means that I would be contacting you to inform you that your recruitment experience has ended. However, you would still be eligible to join a sorority chapter at a later time, if the chapter has openings. If you’d like to make any changes to your card, you may do so, but please only list chapters that you are interested in joining.”
- After the Daily Selection Matching process has been completed, there may be a few PNMs that were not placed in chapters. The Recruitment Counselor will need to contact each of these women and inform the PNM of their status. PNMs should be contacted immediately after their status is known, a minimum of two hours before the events begin.
- Suggested Wording: “Hi, (PNM name), this is (Recruitment Counselor Name) from Panhellenic Council, I wanted to let you know that unfortunately your selections did not match the chapter selections at this time and your will not need to attend any remaining Sorority Recruitment events. However, you are still eligible to join a sorority chapter at a later time, if you choose to do so. I apologize for any inconvenience and if you’d like help getting involved any other groups on campus or would like to speak with me individually, please let me know. Thank you.”
- Chapters will provide beverages but not food. Panhellenic will provide light beverages and refreshments in the Hoblit Suite.
- Recruitment Counselors should bring:
- SLR Handbook
- Laptop with internet access
- Cell phone
- Contact Form
- Daily Attendance Sheet
- ICS Daily visit schedules by PNMs
- ICS Daily visit schedules by chapters
General Supply list:
- XL fancy beverage dispensers (for water and lemonade)
- XL non-fancy beverage dispensers (under table for backups)
- Disposable cups
- Disposable plates
- Serving trays
- Food and lemonade mix
- Check-in station supplies:
- PNM name tags
- Team Information
- Daily Visit Schedules