FAQs: Preparing to Move

When can I move into my room?
FAQ for Move-In Day

Can I come early?
Residents may not move into the halls until we officially open the buildings on Move-In Day. The only exceptions made are for those students required to be here early for school-related reasons such as athletics or orientation.

Will someone help me move into my room?
We recommend you bring someone to help you move into the residence halls. From 8:00AM – noon on Move-In Day, some student organizations volunteer to help new residence hall students carry items to rooms. Returning students and apartment-style housing residents do not traditionally have volunteers to help unload.

Can I move some things into my room before check-in?
Due to security and logistical reasons, you will not have access to your room before you check in. We prepare for your arrival right up until we open the buildings on Move-In morning. Individual requests to store belongings in your room deter us from being ready for Move-In Day.

Can I ship things to the residence hall before I move in?
The residence hall mailrooms cannot accept any deliveries for you before you check in.

Are the buildings air conditioned?
All apartment buildings and residence halls have central air-conditioning.

Do I need a computer or printer?
You do not need to bring a computer to campus. There are numerous computer labs available for you to use on campus. Many students choose to bring their own laptop and printer but it is not necessary. For more information about Technology Services here on campus, contact Technology Services.

What kind of technology should I bring?
If you are bringing a computer, be sure to bring all the CDs, drivers, software, cables, power cords and Ethernet cords that came with your computer.

What kind of computer will I need?
The decision to bring a Macintosh or Windows computer is a personal preference. You should consider how much space (or lack thereof) you will have in your room and whether or not you want to take advantage of wireless access on campus. If you bring a laptop, bring a lock to secure it. For general computer information, visit the Technology Services web site.

Will I have telephone, cable and Internet access in my room?
Phone service is not available in each bedroom but will be available in common areas of residence halls. Internet and cable are available in each residence hall room. For more information, please see the Internet & Cable page.

How big is my room?
Please refer to the
room dimensions & floor plans page for details. Please note that your assigned room dimensions may vary slightly from the information provided.

What are the dimensions of the windows and furniture in my room?
View Room Dimension information.

What is the color of my room?
All residence hall rooms and apartments (except those in Wallace) are painted the same color affectionately called "Drury White." We do not allow students to paint their residence hall rooms. Wallace 1st floor rooms are beige with mustard accent walls. Wallace 2nd floor rooms are beige with burnt orange accent walls. Wallace 3rd floor rooms are beige with avocado green accent walls. Floor material and color varies in all buildings.

What should I bring for my room?
We recommend no more than one vehicle-load of personal belongings—students who pack more than this often send most of it home. Below is a list of recommended items.


  • Box cutter
  • Trash bags
  • Wrench to change the bed height (Sunderland and Wallace only)
  • Moving dolly (for apartments only)


  • Linens for single, x-long twin bed (80" long), pillows, mattress pad, bedspread.  Smith Hall has regular twin mattresses, but many students still bring x-long sheets so they can use them in future years.
  • Power strips with extra-long cord and built-in surge protector
  • Ethernet cord
  • Alarm clock
  • Wastebasket
  • Favorite books and/or movies
  • Reading or standing lamp (Note: Halogen lamps are prohibited)
  • Flashlight
  • Batteries
  • Checkbook, debit card
  • Social security card (in case you want to get a job)
  • Current insurance card or two-sided copy from parents' plan covering students
  • Season-appropriate clothing (switch out during breaks if possible)
  • Umbrella
  • Bicycle and U-lock


  • Bathroom towels, washcloths
  • Toiletries including toothbrush and toothbrush holder, tissues, hand soap, shampoo/conditioner, toilet paper, shower caddy
  • Prescriptions, over-the counter medicines and health-related items
  • First aid kit

  • Envelopes, writing paper, stamps
  • Dictionary, thesaurus
  • Paper, pen etc.
  • Stapler, scissor, hole punch, etc.
  • Backpack or book bag
  • Technology supplies-flashdrives etc.

  • Storage shelves
  • Under-bed bins (Sunderland and Wallace only)
  • Over-the-door shoe rack
  • Clothes hangers
  • Bulletin board & thumb tacks (Note: only use 3M Command adhesive and 3M Command adhesive hangers on walls)

  • Microwavable dishes, utensils, drinking cups, etc.
  • Snacks, drinks, etc.
  • Chip clips
  • Can opener

  • Laundry detergent, dryer sheets, laundry bags or hamper
  • Iron (ironing board provided in laundry room)
  • Small sewing kit


  • Carpet or rugs, curtains
  • Television, Blu-Ray/DVD player
  • Video game console
  • Message board for door
  • Cleaning supplies including toilet & bathtub cleaner, glass cleaner, etc.
  • Small vacuum or broom/Swiffer-type tool
  • Cooking appliances approved for use: toasters (not toaster ovens), coffee makers, one additional mini-fridge up to 4 cubic feet per ROOM in Sunderland and Wallace only. All appliances must be UL-approved.

(See the Student Handbook or Housing Contract for a detailed list)

  • Unapproved materials for hanging including scotch, duct, electrical or masking tape; gum-type adhesive; tacks, nails and staples; anything else that may damage walls
  • Materials to build to loft in your room
  • Additional non-Drury mini-fridges are prohibited in Smith. Full-size refrigerators are prohibited in all residence halls.
  • Microwaves (we provide them for you)
  • Couches
  • Extension cords
  • Candles with wicks & incense (even if you do not intend to burn it)
  • Pets other than fish are not permitted. Service animals are permitted with prior approval from the Housing Office.
  • Empty alcohol containers (even just for decoration) or alcohol paraphernalia
  • Weapons (including air-soft or pellet guns)
  • ANY cooking appliances not listed as approved above. These include, but are not limited to; toaster ovens, crock pots, hot plates, George foreman grills, rice cookers and any non UL-listed appliances.

Are my personal belongings insured?
The university does not purchase property insurance covering any loss of, or damage to, a student's personal property, and the university assumes no responsibility for the payment of such a loss. You should verify that your parents' insurance policy covers full-time students living away from home and plan to purchase renter's insurance if needed.

How long is my bed & what size sheets should I bring?
Drury University twin mattresses measure 80" long x 36" wide, except for Smith Hall, which has regular-length twin mattresses. The 80" mattresses will accommodate large-framed and tall individuals.  We recommend x-long twin sheets so you can use your sheets no matter which size mattress you get.

Can I build a loft or bunk my bed?
For safety reasons, we do not allow students to build lofts. Wallace and Sunderland Hall have beds that are able to be bunked. Smith Hall beds are stationary.