Employment Opportunities for International Students

On-campus Employment

Federal regulations allow on-campus employment for F-1 student as long as they are maintaining their F-1 immigration status and are in good academic standing. Drury offers student employment only to full-time undergraduate day school students. The International Support Services director can answer any questions you may have about your immigration status.

During the academic year, F-1 students can work up to twenty hours a week on campus. When school is not in session, F-1 students can work full time on campus.Human Resources can help you with all stages of the on campus job search: identifying open positions, accepting applications for employment, and assisting with the paperwork associated with working on Drury campus. See Student Job Openings for a list of employment opportunities on Drury campus.

Off-campus Employment

It is very important to remember that immigration regulations prohibit all types of off-campus employment without specific authorization. Any unauthorized off-campus work is illegal and subject to strict penalties, including deportation.

F-1 students interested in doing an internship during their studies would do so under Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT applications are available in the International Support Services Office.

Generally, F-1 students use Optional Practical Training (OPT) after they graduate in their field of study, commensurate with their educational level, for one year. OPT can be used prior to graduation as well.F-1 students are eligible for up to 12 months of OPT with each higher degree (i.e. Bachelor, Master, PhD). Effective 2008 students in certain Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) majors may apply for a 17 month extension of OPT as long as they have an appropriate job. Also effective 2008, individuals on OPT are limited to 90 days of unemployment during the OP.Employment authorization for OPT is granted by US Citizenship and Immigration Services(CIS) in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Be sure to visit the Career Center, a centralized office dedicated to providing career development support and information. As always, please do not hesitate to contact International Support Services if you have any questions or would like more information.