Philanthropy and Service Guidelines
Drury Greek philanthropy and community service programs provide chapter members with some of the most enriching opportunities of their college experience. Greek service programs allow members to not only support worthy causes financially; they can also make a difference in the lives of others while demonstrating the importance of volunteering as a member of a global society. Drury Greek chapters are recommended to have a structured philanthropy and community service program that is maintained by the chapter's philanthropy and community service officer as part of the Greek Leadership Team. Chapters should provide the tools and resources to help members engage in these valuable learning experiences and to provide the support necessary for members to grow.
Each chapter supports both a local and national charity through numerous philanthropic efforts planned each year. Chapters should elect or appoint an individual whose primary responsibilities include overseeing and organizing all of the chapter’s philanthropic and service events. Each chapter requires that its members complete a certain number of philanthropy and/or service hours each semester. In addition, the Student Activities Office recommends the following guidelines for chapters:
- Chapter should sponsor or co-sponsor a philanthropy and/or service event with at least one Greek and one non-Greek organization each semester.
- Chapters should incorporate a philanthropy or service project as a part of recruitment programs.
- Each member should complete at least eight hours of service each semester.
- Each member should actively participate in chapter philanthropy projects each semester.
- Members should participate in at least one campus-wide service or philanthropic event each year.
- Participants should act appropriately and represent Greek life in a positive manner.
- Chapter Officer should maintain accurate records of all money raised from philanthropic efforts and hours accumulated from service projects completed by all members. Chapters should log their service hours using Drury’s service hour validation page. This form submits service hours to the office of Community Outreach and Leadership Development, where you can get help with maintaining an accurate record for your chapter and receive service hour reports upon request.
- Submitting your service hours through Community Outreach and Leadership Development makes your chapter eligible for awards such as the Panther Service Cup and Drury Spotlight Awards.
- Contact Community Outreach and Leadership Development at 417-873-6803 or firstname.lastname@example.org.