LEAP: Leadership Enrichment Adventure Program
What is LEAP and why should you participate?
Drury’s Leadership Enrichment Adventure Program (LEAP) offers two unique sessions for incoming freshmen to meet other like-minded students in mid-summer before New Student Orientation begins in August. Whether students share an interest in learning about their new home and what makes the Ozarks an amazing place, the area of community service, or a love of the outdoors, LEAP seeks to foster long-lasting friendships and enhance existing communication and leadership skills in a fun, safe and educational environment. Students can choose from two unique themes—Outdoor Immersion and Exploring the Ozarks — each of which emphasizes a different area of the Drury Experience. All LEAP programs last four days and three nights. LEAP participants from all sessions will attend a team-building low ropes course at the Leadership Ranch in Republic, Missouri to help break the ice and begin the journey as well as engage in fun interactive leadership activities at the close of each evening. Each session has its own theme-specific curriculum over the four day, three night event.
Exploring the Ozarks
Saturday, June 24-Tuesday, June 27, 2017
Exploring the Ozarks LEAP program is designed for incoming students that are not familiar with Springfield and our surrounding areas or for those who want to learn more about what our city and area have to offer. We will explore local hot spots and areas close to campus like downtown Springfield and C-Street, take a trip to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO (weather permitting), eat at locally owned and operated restaurants and participate in a service project at Ozarks Food Harvest.
- Meet other incoming first-year students from all over the country.
- Meet upper classmen and student leaders who will serve as guides and mentors.
- Build teamwork and leadership skills alongside the students in your LEAP session.
- Gain skills, knowledge and awareness of resources to help you succeed in college.
- Learn about some of the history of the Ozarks and what makes this area an amazing place to live.
- Have a lot of fun!
LEAP - Exploring the Ozarks Schedule of Events (subject to change slightly)
Total cost: $300 per student
Registration closes: June 1, 2016
Tuesday, July 11-Friday, July 14, 2016
This session provides the opportunity to engage in outdoor adventure activities through team building initiatives - canoeing, camping, hiking, climbing and rappelling - and is sequenced to accommodate varying abilities and levels of experience. Incoming students interested in having a meaningful wilderness experience with other new Drury students are encouraged to register.
College is a great time to learn and hone leadership skills. Through interactive discussions and self-assessments, students will develop a basic understanding of the 7 leadership skills used by the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) and how to apply those skills throughout their time in college.
Other than the ability to swim, prior experience or knowledge of outdoor adventure activities is not necessary. Students will be accompanied by Drury staff and upperclassmen and supervised by trained members of staff during all activities.
LEAP-Outdoor Immersion Schedule of Events (subject to change slightly)
Total cost: $300 per student
Registration closes: June 1, 2017
What do past participants have to say about their LEAP experience?
- “The upperclassmen group leaders were very enthusiastic and extremely patient. Both are very smart and I was definitely glad to have had the chance to meet them. “
- “I wish it didn’t end.”
- “LEAP was one of the best ‘camps’ I’ve attended. I would gladly come again.”
- “I made great friends and had a lot of fun.”
- "Don’t stop this program! It helped me relax about starting at Drury in the fall and now I have friends that will be here with me. It was awesome. Thank you!"
- “I like it all… even going to sleep at 2:00 a.m. every night because it was fun, and I made great memories… even though I’m really tired!”
- “It was the best thing I did all summer!”
- “Best experience ever. This should be a requirement for all freshmen. Staff was amazing and professional. Overall was amazing.”
- “Go on the LEAP trip! Definitely worth the money and the time. It was an amazing experience for me. I made so many great friends on the trip and so will you!”
- “It’s an awesome way to meet new people and start some friendships that could last a lifetime.”
- “Go for it even if you have doubts. You will meet new friends and gain new strengths and a better understanding of everything you can or cannot do.”
All incoming freshmen are encouraged to register, but spots are limited in order to provide the most meaningful, unique experience possible.
HOW DO I REGISTER and PAY?
Register online for LEAP.
To pay, please mail a check for $300 as soon as possible in order to guarantee placement. You may also make two payments - just remember you are not confirmed on this trip until we receive your full payment.
Please make the check payable to Drury University, and have the student's name and LEAP listed in the memo line. Please mail the payment to:
Attn: Jennifer Stewart - LEAP
900 N. Benton Avenue
Springfield, MO 65802
We will mail the final schedule to all LEAP registrants in mid May.
Cancellation Policy: Full refunds will be issued up to two weeks in advance of the trip, and half refunds will be issued with 13 days or less notice. Written notice is required for refunds and should be emailed to Jennifer Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Please contact Jennifer Stewart, Director of New Student Programs at email@example.com or (417) 873-6919.