1. 1) Malcolm Potts states that the majority of Americans support abortion
in cases of fetal defect, rape, maternal ill health, or even difficult social
circumstances. 2) I assume he is saying that the majority of Americans feel
that abortion should be legal in all circumstances.
3) But a recent Gallup Poll on abortion reports that only 21% of Americans believe that abortion should be legal in all circumstances. 4) An equal percentage believe that abortion should be illegal in all circumstances. 5) When asked whether they favored or opposed a ban on all abortions except in the case of rape, incest, or when the mother's life is endangered, 58% said they favored such a ban.
6) The people have spoken: the majority of Americans oppose unrestricted abortion rights. 7) Abortion must be made illegal -- now!
[Hint: pay careful attention to Malcolm Pott's position, or implied position -- and what the speaker does with that position.]
2. "...if you ask [your children] which personal computer they're using, chances are they'll say an Apple II. It's the leading computer in education. And one of the most popular computers in the larger world. Nearly 3,000,000 Apple II's are helping people in virtually every field of human endeavor.
3. The Ford Taurus is the most popular selling car in its class. Shouldn't you get a Taurus?