FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid


File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Financial aid programs are available to students who demonstrate financial need. Financial need is determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is the first step and cornerstone of your financial aid search.

FAFSA (you'll hear this acronym used a whole lot in financial aid discussions) is an online form you and your parents fill out using your 2012 tax information. If you haven't filed your taxes, you can use estimated amounts. The FAFSA is a form that, based on the information you submit, calculates how much governmental financial assistance you qualify for.


The recommended deadline for filing your FAFSA is March 15. We cannot emphasize enough the importance of filing early. None of the governmental financial assistance programs reserve funds for late applicants. Funds may not be available to students who complete the FAFSA after April 1.


The financial assistance application process takes 4-6 weeks. Make sure you answer all the questions carefully, completely, and accurately to avoid delays in processing that might affect the amount of aid you receive. You must file the FAFSA every year of your college career to receive financial aid. All students applying for financial aid must have a social security number.

The First Step: Filing the FAFSA

You may use either of these methods to file your FAFSA:

  1. Through the web site: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.

  2. Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-319-337-5665. If you are hearing impaired, please contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913

The school code for Drury University is 002461. Please include this number when filing your FAFSA electronically or by mail so that Drury will receive your Student Aid Report information.

PIN Application Process/E-signature Feature

High school students, college students, former students and parents who do not already have a PIN (Personal Identification Number) may apply for one through the Department of Education's SFA PIN Web site. Parents who are not students can also apply for a PIN. To request a PIN, an individual must follow the steps below.

  1. Visit www.pin.ed.gov.
  2. Supply name, Social Security Number (SSN), date of birth, and mailing address.
  3. Submit the request.

Your PIN can be used each year to electronically apply for federal student aid and to access your Federal Student Aid records online. If you receive a PIN, you agree not to share it with anyone. Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records, so you should never give your PIN to anyone, including commercial services that offer to help you complete your FAFSA. Be sure to keep your PIN in a safe place.

Frequently Asked Questions About the FAFSA

When I complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), what types of financial aid am I considered for?

Once Drury University’s student financial aid office receives your FAFSA information, they will determine if you are eligible for the following types of financial aid:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Teacher Education Assistance Grant (TEACH)
  • Federal subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal work study
  • State Grants

I've missed the Drury University March 31st deadline for priority aid consideration. Is it useless to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) now?

No, you can still send your FAFSA in to apply for a Pell Grant and a Stafford Loan.

Should I wait to file my FAFSA until my taxes are done?

If you do not have your tax returns completed by the first week in March, you can estimate income figures on the FAFSA. However, it is best to complete your tax return early and provide accurate information. This will avoid corrections and delays in processing your aid.

What if I didn't list Drury University’s school code on my FAFSA? How do I get the information to financial aid office at Drury University?

Go to the FAFSA corrections menu on the FAFSA website, add our school code (002461) to your application and submit the correction. You will need your PIN for this option.
You may call 1-800-433-3233 to make the school code change.  You will need your data release number (DRN) for this option. The DRN is the four-digit number located in the bottom left hand corner of the Student Aid Report (SAR).

If my parents are separated or divorced, who should complete the parent's information on the FAFSA?

The parent you lived with most in the last 12 months should complete the FAFSA. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, answer in terms of the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually were supported by a parent. Support includes money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car, medical and dental care, payment for college costs, etc.

If my parent has remarried, do I have to include my stepparent's information on the FAFSA?

Yes, if your parent is married on the day you completed the FAFSA.

My parents do not claim me on their tax forms.  Do I need to include their information on the FAFSA?

Yes. See the definition of an “Independent Student” below.

I am really independent. Why do I have to apply for financial aid using my parent's information?

The definition of “Independent” is defined specifically by the law. You will automatically be considered independent for financial aid purposes if you meet one or more of the following criteria in the 2013-2014 FAFSA:

Definition of an Independent Student
For the 2013-2014 Award Year, a student is automatically determined to be an independent applicant for federal student aid only if he or she meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • Student was born before January 1, 1990.
  • Student is married or separated (but not divorced) as of the date of the application.
  • At the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year, the student will be enrolled in a master’s or doctoral degree program (such as MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.).
  • Student is currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, or is a National Guard or Reserves enlistee called into federal active duty for other than training purposes.
  • Student is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces (see the definition in the box on page 4).
  • Student has one or more children who receive more than half of their support from him or her between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014.
  • Student has dependent(s) (other than children or spouse) who live with him or her and who receive more than half of their support from the student, now and through June 30, 2014.
  • At any time since the student turned age 13, both of the student’s parents were deceased, the student was in foster care, or the student was a dependent/ward of the court.
  • As determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence, the student is now or was upon reaching the age of majority, an emancipated minor (released from control by his or her parent or guardian).
  • As determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence, the student is now or was upon reaching the age of majority, in legal guardianship.
  • On or after July 1, 2012, student was determined by a high school or school district homeless liaison to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • On or after July 1, 2012, student was determined by the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • On or after July 1, 2012, student was determined by a director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.
  • Student was determined by the college financial aid administrator to be an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or is self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

If you cannot answer yes to any of the above questions, then you are considered dependent and must report your parent's information on the FAFSA.

I originally reported that I had $ x,xxx in my savings account on my FAFSA. Since then I have used that money, can I correct this dollar amount?

No, you must report asset information as of the date you signed the original FAFSA.

I'm going to be married during the school year. Can I fill out my FAFSA as “Married” now since I will be married in a few months?

No. You must accurately report marital status at the time you complete the FAFSA. You might want to wait and complete your FAFSA after you are married. Consult with your financial aid advisor on this situation.