CCPS Scholarships & Financial Aid

Financial Aid Office
Determination of Need
Government Assistance Available
Return of Title IV Funds
Scholarships from Outside Sources
Veterans Benefits

Determination of Need

Each year, a formula is determined by the government. The information the student and family provide on the FAFSA is analyzed according to this formula to arrive at an expected family contribution. The difference between the student’s family contribution and the estimated total cost of Drury is the amount of financial aid for which the student should be eligible.


The U.S. Department of Education will send the student an acknowledgment of the FAFSA application. The student will receive a Student Aid Report ( SAR ) from the U.S. Department of Education. If the student does qualify, a financial aid award letter will be sent to the student. The letter will include a list of the kinds and amounts of aid that can be offered. The student should study this list carefully and, if this particular “package” of assistance is acceptable, sign the letter and return it to the Drury Financial Aid Office. The student can also fill out the continuing studies scholarship application.

Government Assistance Available

Grants: Grants are gifts of money. They are based on financial need and the student never has to repay them.

Federal Pell Grant

Pell is a federal grant program. About 75 percent of the students receiving Pell grants come from families earning less than $10,000 per year and 25 percent come from families earning up to $25,000 per year. Those who qualify can receive from $200 to $4,000 per year.

Access Missouri need-based scholarship program
Administered by the State of Missouri, designed to help low and middle income families pay for college.  Currently students attending private four-year universities, like Drury University, can receive up to $4,600 per academic year, if they are enrolled full-time (12-hours).


The federal government gives funds to colleges and private banks to make loans to students. A student must repay the loan after graduation or withdrawal. Before agreeing to a loan, a student should be sure how much interest will be charged and the amount of monthly payments.

Federal Stafford Student Loan Program

This is a low-interest loan available to almost any student regardless of financial need. A bank, credit union, school, or state agency could loan up to $2,625 for the first year, $3,500 for the second year, and $5,500 for subsequent years. The variable interest rate is capped at 8.25 percent. Application must be made through Drury University.

Subsidized Stafford Student Loan

The subsidized federal Stafford loan is based on financial need, which is determined by using a federal formula. A loan is “subsidized” when the government pays the interest during the following periods:

• while enrolled in school at least half-time;
• during the six-month grace period after attending school less than half-time;
• during periods of authorized deferment.

Unsubsidized Stafford Student Loan

The unsubsidized federal Stafford loan is not based on financial need and is available to all students regardless of income. Because this loan is not subsidized by the government, the student is responsible for all interest that accrues during in-school, grace and deferment periods. The student may choose to make interest payments while in school or may defer (and accumulate) the interest until repayment.

Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized loans may be prorated under certain conditions. Prorated loan limits are used when a borrower’s remaining period of enrollment, until the completion of his or her academic program, is less than an academic year in length.

Return of Title IV Funds

Drury University complies with the Federal Refund Policy and returns funds (amounts are based on Federal Refund Policy calculations) to the appropriate fund from which it was received based on the Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act effective October 7, 2000 . If a student aid recipient completely drops, withdraws, is dismissed or takes a leave of absence prior to completing 60 percent of the fall or spring semester, the refund to the program shall be as follows:

Percent earned equals the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the semester. The aid to be returned equals 100 percent minus percent earned times the amount of aid disbursed toward institutional charges. When aid is returned, the student may owe an outstanding balance to the university. The student should contact the Business Office to make arrangement to pay the balance.

Scholarships from Outside Sources

Many agencies, civic groups, churches, and even employers give various forms of financial aid directly to the student. It is the student’s responsibility to use this assistance to meet the expected payment dates.

Many employers provide a generous program of reimbursement for educational expense, but payment to the student usually is made after successful completion of coursework and not at the beginning of the semester. The student is responsible for paying for coursework according to established payment dates.

The Community Foundation of the Ozarks also sponsors many scholarships that Drury students can apply for.

Veterans Benefits: Benefits are funds extended to certain groups of people under special conditions.

Students may be eligible to receive educational assistance under a number of programs offered by the Veterans Administration. Programs
include the G.I. Bill, Selected Reserve, Survivors and Dependents Benefits, and Vocational Rehabilitation. Contact the VA Representative available on the Drury campus to help determine your eligibility and establish your benefits.

Veterans Certification Request

Note to Students Receiving VA Educational Benefits

Veterans or eligible people must be formally admitted during the first semester enrolled and must maintain a 2.0 GPA for all courses counted toward graduation. If at any time a veteran's or eligible student's GPA falls below 2.0 , they will be placed on scholastic probation for one semester. If at the end of that semester the veteran or eligible student has brought their GPA to 2.0 or better, they will no longer be on scholastic probation.

In the event that after the probationary period, the veteran or eligible student did not bring their GPA to 2.0 or better, they will be discontinued from receiving further educational benefits from the Veterans' Administration. The only exception to this rule is: If, after being placed on scholastic probation, the veteran or eligible student achieves a 2.0 GPA for the probationary period, but have not raised their GPA total to 2.0 or better, they will be allowed to continue as long as they can achieve a 2.0 average per semester (except when the veteran or eligible student cannot graduate in the 124 semester hours period with a 2.0 GPA , or better).

Punitive (Failing) Grade: A grade assigned for pursuit of a course which indicated unacceptable course work and no credit granted toward graduation for that pursuit. Although this type of grade results in no credit, it is distinguished from a nonpunitive grade by the fact that it is considered in determining overall progress toward graduation, in that penalty is exacted on school graduation requirement, such as grade point average (GPA).

Drop-add period: If an eligible veteran or person withdraws from a course after the drop-add period, receives a non-punitive grade for that course and mitigating circumstances are not found, benefits for that course will be terminated effective the first date of enrollment.

Repeating a Course: Veterans may repeat a course that has been failed providing the course is required for graduation. Veterans may not repeat courses to raise their GPAs. A course also may be repeated if it becomes necessary to raise the GPA in order to meet minimum requirements of the department. Exceptions to this should be referred to the VA representative.

The VA representative must be notified if an eligible veteran or person has any changes in enrollment status during a certified period of enrollment.

Private Company Benefits

Many employers provide some form of remitted tuition to employees who are taking courses for credit. You are encouraged to inquire of your employer regarding this type of financial aid.