Requirements for Graduation
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts with Honors
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration with Honors
- Bachelor of Music Education
- Bachelor of Music Education with Honors
- Bachelor of Music Therapy
- Bachelor of Music Therapy with Honors
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science with Honors
- Master of Architecture
- Master of Architecture with Honors
To be recommended for one of the degrees listed above, a candidate must satisfy the following conditions:
- The successful completion of the required minimum number of credit hours (124 hours for the Bachelor degrees, 168 for the Master of Architecture).
- At the time of graduation the average cumulative grade must be at least C (2.0).
- Completion of all general education requirements.
- The successful completion of a major (study-in-depth).
- At least 36 hours of the total number of hours required for graduation must be in upper-division courses (courses numbered in the 300s and 400s).
- The last 30 semester hours must be taken in residence. (The last 60 hours for the Master of Architecture must be in residence.)
- To participate in commencement exercises, students must have completed all degree requirements
- Undergraduate students are eligible to walk in the Spring Commencement ceremony if they are a) within six credit hours of completing all degree requirements for graduation and b) are already registered for those missing courses in the next available academic term. Note that the business office will not clear a student to walk in commencement unless his/her account balance for all registered courses has been paid. Students who wish to take advantage of this revision to the existing policy should file the intent to graduate form available in the Registrar’s Office.
- Please note: Because students petitioning for this exception will not have met the requirements for honors calculation at the time of commencement, Latin honors will not be acknowledged at commencement, and will be conferred, and the diploma made available, when the student completes all graduation and honors requirements.
Notes on Majors (studies-in-depth):
Required Hours of Study:
For the Bachelor of Arts, a student shall be required to complete at least 24, but not more than 36 hours, in a major field of study, as the department requires. For the Bachelor of Science, a student shall be required to complete at least 24, but not more than 60 hours, in a major field of study, as the department requires.
Required Capstone of Study:
The major shall require not fewer than three semester hours of senior seminar or research.
Required Approvals to Study:
The declaration of major(s) and minor(s) must be filed in the Registrar’s Office prior to the completion of 60 credit hours of coursework.
Maximum Programs of Study
Students may complete up to 3 majors and 3 minors. Courses may be taken that are common to, and included in, the hours required for multiple majors and minors as long as a minimum number of hours is completed in the combined areas.
The minimum number of required unique hours for multiple majors and minors shall be the sum of the university minimum required hours (24 for majors, 15 for minors) for the combined majors and minors, minus three hours times the number of majors/minors:
- A single major requires a minimum of 24 unique hours.
- A double major requires a minimum of 42 unique hours.
- A triple major requires a minimum of 63 unique hours
- double major plus a minor requires a minimum of 54 unique hours
- A single major plus a double minor requires a minimum of 45 unique hours.
Any number of courses may overlap and any course may be used any number of times as long as the student completes the minimum required number of unique hours.
The responsibility for understanding and meeting graduation requirements rests entirely with the student.