Medical Leave / Medical Withdrawal

Students who experience health problems may request a medical leave or medical withdrawal from the university. A medical leave may be requested for an upcoming semester, or up to and until the last day to enroll for the semester. After this date, registered students can request a medical withdrawal from classes up to and until the date that final grades are due.

Such requests must be accompanied by medical documentation from an appropriate medical professional (i.e., M.D., D.O., Psy.D, LPC), indicating that the leave or withdrawal is recommended. Students should note that the preparation of this statement will require their formal consent to release of relevant information from appropriate medical professionals to the university, and for the university to release relevant information, as needed, to those medical professionals.

If a medical withdrawal is approved, the student will be withdrawn from all classes by the Registrar and will receive a “W” on their transcript for each class, so that they receive no credit or grade for these courses, leaving their GPA unaffected. Students may not withdraw from selected classes, but only from their entire schedule of coursework.
Students that choose to pursue a medical leave or withdrawal from the university must start the process with the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students (Room 201, Findlay Student Center). Official withdrawal from the university can also have specific financial and academic implications. It is recommended that students also meet with their academic advisor and the Director of Financial Aid.

Federal and State financial aid regulations do not allow students to be on any type of official leave from the institution, including medical leave, for more than two consecutive semesters or 180 days, without applying for re-admission to the university. Therefore, students who are on leave for more than two semesters will be withdrawn from the university, and must reapply through the Office of Admissions. Readmitted students have their financial aid re-evaluated at the time of admission, and follow the Academic Catalog of the year of their readmission, which may change the range of academic programs they may pursue. A student who wishes to return to campus following a medical leave must furnish the appropriate documentation from a medical professional, stating that the student has received the appropriate medical attention and is, in the professional’s opinion, ready to resume studies at the university.

Under certain circumstances, the university may require a student to withdraw from the university for medical reasons, or take a medical leave of absence. Such action is warranted if, in the judgment of a team of professional Drury staff members, the student poses a threat to the lives of others or exhibits behavior that seriously interferes with his or her ability to function and/or with the educational environment and pursuits of others.

Students who would like to pursue a medical withdrawal or medical leave should start the process with the Dean of Students. Official withdrawal from the university can also have specific academic and financial implications. Drury University recommends that students who wish to pursue a withdrawal or leave of absence should consult with their academic advisor and the Financial Aid Office to better understand his or her individual situation.