Guidelines for Interacting with a Distressed Student
- Talk to the student in private.
- Listen carefully.
- Show concern and interest.
- Repeat back the essence of what the student has told you.
- Avoid criticizing or sounding judgmental.
- Consider campus' Counseling Services as a resource and discuss a referral with the student.
- If the student resists help and you are worried, contact Counseling Services to discuss your concerns @ 873-7418. Be advised that should you wish for the counselor to intervene on your concern on your behalf, the counselor must use your name as the source of the concern.
- Involve yourself only as far as you want to go. Extending yourself can be a gratifying experience when kept within your range of comfort.
- Guide to Helping Distressed or Distressing Students
- Referring a Student
- Identifying the High Risk Student - (PowerPoint Presentation)
- How to Identify and Refer a Distressed Student - (PowerPoint Presentation)