Q. Where can I find a list of important dates for the school year?

A. The Academic Calendar provides specific dates for students to refer to when there are questions about what to do and by what date.

Q. When do I declare a major?

A. The major must be approved by your advisor and the Declaration of Major(s) and Minor(s) form (submitted on via MyDrury) prior to registration for the first semester of the junior year and you must declare your major before you can be officially admitted to the Breech School.

Q. How do I declare a major, delete a major, or add a major or minor?

A. To do any of these things, you will need to submit the Declaration of Major(s) and Minor(s) (via MyDrury).

Q. How do I find out the requirements for my major?

A. In addition to the information available on MyDrury, the Academic Catalog link provides students with a listing of majors and the requirements for the current academic year, as well as catalogs for previous years. Also, scheduling worksheets for each business major are available for the current year.

Q. How/when do I choose an advisor?

A. Your CORE 101 instructor is assigned as your first year advisor. In the spring of your freshman year or if you are a transfer student, you will be assigned to an advisor in the Breech School depending upon your academic interest. If you have questions about the Breech majors during your first year, you are encouraged to talk to any of the Breech faculty for advice.

Q. Do I need more than one advisor?

A. You may have more than one advisor, particularly if you have majors in different academic departments. It is recommended that if you are a business major, you have an advisor in the Breech School.

Q. How do I change my advisor?

A. To change your advisor, you will need to complete and submit a Change of Advisor form to the Center for Academic Planning in Burnham 201. Or you may indicate the advisor change on the Declaration of Major(s) and Minor(s) [link to form] form when you fill it out.

Q. As a business major, I am supposed to be admitted to the Breech School in order to take upper-division business courses. How do I apply for admission?

A. There is no formal application form to submit, however, you need to complete the requirements for admission as listed in the Breech Admission Policy. When those requirements have been met, you will be automatically admitted to the Breech School once all grades have been posted.

Q. Is there a way to take upper-division courses while I’m still working on the courses required for admission to the Breech School?

A. Students may be granted up to two conditional admission semesters to the Breech School while completing the admission requirements. Students, subject to advisor approval, may enroll in a maximum of 6 hours of upper-division Breech School coursework during a semester of conditional admission. Prior to registration, students are required to complete the Permission to Enroll in Upper-Division Breech School Courses form (commonly referred to as the “Green Sheet”), which is located under the "Student" tab in MyDrury, with their advisor.

Q. If my major is not in business, but I am required to take some upper-division business courses for my major, do I need to be admitted to Breech to take those classes?

A. Students who must enroll in a Breech School 300 or 400 level course to fulfill requirements of a program not offered through the Breech School may be exempted from the Admission Policy, provided they have completed all other specific prerequisites for the course. Prior to registration students are required to complete the Permission to Enroll in Upper-Division Breech School Courses form (commonly referred to as the “Green Sheet”), which is located under the "Student" tab in MyDrury, with their advisor.

Q. How do I substitute a course required for my major with another course?

A. Complete the Course Substitution Request form (can be picked up in the Registrar's office) which needs to be approved and signed by your advisor and Breech department chair, then submit it to the Registrar’s Office in Bay Hall.

Q. If I cannot fit a particular course into my day schedule, how do I get permission to take a class that’s offered in the evening or online?

A. Continuing Studies courses (both seated and online) are restricted to Continuing Studies students. On a limited basis, day school students may seek approval to enroll on a space available basis by submitting a completed Day Student Request to Enroll in Continuing Studies Course form which is available in the Registrar’s Office (Bay Hall) or the Breech office (BRE 100). If enrollment is approved, the course will become available shortly before the beginning of the semester. If the course is required for a student to graduate in the current academic year, the enrollment will be expedited.

Q. How do I drop or add a class?

A. A change in your registration can only be made by filing an official Drop and Add form in the Office of the Registrar. If you wish to drop a class, it is important that the drop and add form be filed with the Registrar as soon as this decision is made. Failure to officially drop a class you are not attending will result in a grade of F for the course. Failure to officially add a class you are attending will result in no credit. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates to add and drop classes.

Q. Business majors are required to do an internship – what forms are required and where do I go for assistance?

A. In order to receive academic credit for an internship experience, all students pursuing a B.B.A. degree with a major in accounting, economics, finance, management or marketing are required to complete an internship of at least 150 hours during the semester in which they are receiving academic credit. To receive academic credit for the internship, students need to register for Professional Business Experience (ACCT 480 for accounting majors or MGMT 480 for all other business majors), a class that meets for 50 minutes once a week during the semester of your internship. The Career Center requires that you complete the Internship Learning Contract and Internship Agreement, Disclosure, and Certifications forms by the due date (usually within the first two weeks of the semester, or by the end of the first week of summer classes). If you need assistance with an internship, please consult with your advisor and/or Career Planning and Development.

Q. Business majors are required to have an international study experience – how do I get credit for this?

A.All business majors are required to have an international study experience. This requirement may be met in many ways, including, but not limited to, many of Drury’s study abroad programs, including study abroad for a semester, a year, or through special short-term courses. To apply, you should complete the International Study Program Application form and submit it to the Study Abroad Office and the Breech Application for Approval of Study Abroad. During your study abroad you will be enrolled in the appropriate study abroad course and complete an assignment related to your study abroad experience.

Q. If I want to take more than 17 hours in a semester, do I need special permission?

A. Registration for more than 17 credit hours in a semester (13 during the summer session) is considered an academic overload. You must complete the form Request for Permission to Enroll for an Overload, located in the "Student" tab of MyDrury, in order to be granted permission to take an overload. To request an overload, students should have a grade average of 3.0 or higher in the preceding semester and must obtain the approval of their advisor. If a student has a grade average below 3.0, further approval from the dean of the college is required. An excessive overload, more than 21 hours (16 in summer) will require approval by the Academic Affairs Committee prior to the beginning of the semester of the overload. Students who wish to apply for this approval should complete the Academic Standing Petition which is available in the Registrar’s Office (Bay Hall) or in the Breech office (BRE 100). Bear in mind that additional tuition cost is assessed per semester credit hour in excess of 17. The deadline to submit this request is the same date as the last day to add classes during the semester or term.

Q. If I have not had a prerequisite for a course which is listed in the academic catalog, how do I get permission to take the course without having had the prerequisite?

A. Students are required to complete prerequisites listed in the course descriptions section of theAcademic Catalog before enrolling in the course requiring the prerequisite. If the prerequisite stated is “admission to Breech School of Business,” please refer to the Breech Admission Policy. Students who wish to register for a course without first taking the prerequisite(s) listed in the course description of the academic catalog must complete the Permission to Waive Prerequisite form. Your advisor must approve this request, as well as the faculty member who is teaching the course, prior to obtaining approval from the department chair. The class cannot be added to the student’s schedule without these approvals.

Q. I want to register for a course on a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory basis - how can I do this?

A. A student who is officially classified as a junior or senior may register for one course during a semester on a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory basis, but must designate this option before the end of the second week of class with the Registrar’s Office in Bay Hall. In order to receive a Satisfactory grade, a student is expected to perform at the C level or better (a maximum of four undergraduate courses may be taken on a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory basis). Courses in a student's major and minor, courses taken to meet graduation requirements and honors courses may not be taken on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis. For complete details, please refer to your academic catalog under "Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory."

Q. How do I register for a directed study?

A. To allow flexibility in students’ schedules, the university offers courses by directed study. With the approval of the instructor and the department chair, a student may register for directed study for courses in the catalog by completing the Permission to Register for Special Coursework form(available in MyDrury, on the Student tab under "Student Forms").

Q. How do I register for research?

A. Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors are eligible to register for special projects of research beyond the regular catalog offering. Students work independently to develop a proposal for study that must be approved by a faculty mentor and the department chair. To register for research, students are to complete the Permission to Register for Special Coursework form (available in MyDrury, on the Student tab under "Student Forms").

Q. If I want to take a class at another institution, how do I transfer the credit back to Drury?

A. Credits completed at other regionally accredited institutions may be transferred if the student has obtained a C or better in the course. Prior approval is required before enrolling at another institution for any coursework for which the student wants to receive transfer credit. Approval may be requested by completing the Request for Transfer of Credit form.

Q. If I am a senior at Drury, and need to take a class at another institution, what do I do?

A. Please refer to the section on how to transfer credit back to Drury and complete the Request for Transfer of Credit form. If you are a senior (90 or more hours earned), or you are currently a junior but you will be a senior by the time you take a course at another institution, or completion of this coursework will increase your total hours to more than 90, you need to request a partial waiver of the senior residency requirement. To do so, complete an Academic Standing Petition form which is available in the Registrar’s Office (Bay Hall) or in the Breech office (BRE 100) and submit the completed petition along with the Request for Transfer of Credit form to the university registrar.