Joseph [Ryan] Osborne
Fabrication Shop Supervisor
Office: HSA Basement
Born and raised in Charlotte, NC Ryan Osborne attended UNC Charlotte’s School of Architecture. There he graduated cum laude with a BA & BArch in Architecture. While gaining an architecture education Ryan also attained in depth knowledge of woodworking and fine furniture that lead to the pursuit of an M.F.A. in furniture design at Savannah College of Art & Design. In 2011, Ryan graduated summa cum laude from SCAD, which culminated in exhibition of a material based M.F.A. thesis that focused on sustainability and the application of bio-composites in the production of furniture & accessories.
During the pursuit of his education Ryan worked as shop monitor in university shops at both UNCC and SCAD. Over five years Ryan gained extensive hands on experience in woodworking, metal working, welding, plastics, composites, and the many machines and processes used in the manipulation of materials.
Before joining HSA Ryan worked as a Project Manager at a ACM (Aluminum Composite Material) sub-contractor where he lead the fabrication and detailing of wet seal and rain screen building envelopes. As the HSA Fabrication Shop Supervisor Ryan will foster student understanding of the integration of materials and fabrication to design. In addition, Ryan typically offers a furniture design elective exploring the integration of digital fabrication in design.
Among exhibition & awards:
- Exhibitor - MFA Thesis Exhibition at La Galerie Bleue, 2011 Savannah, GA
- Exhibitor - Furniture Revolution Gallery, 2011 Neocon World Trade Fair Chicago, IL
- Dean’s Award – School of Building Arts SCAD, 2011
- Exhibitor - Taste Gallery, 2011 Savannah, GA
- Presenter - Furniture Design Summit, 2011 Savannah, GA
- Selected for SCAD & Italian Trade Commission Trip to 2010 Milan Furniture Fair
- Exhibitor - SCAD Booth, 2010 Architectural Digest Show New York, NY
- 2nd. Place, 24e Furniture Design Awards 2009
- UNCC Faculty Award for 5th Yr. Thesis - History & Theory